Quietest Duck Breeds?

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hi, I'm new to ducks..wanting to get a few. What are the quietest breeds? I live in the city and don"t want tooooo much noise. I have a few chickens, and they aren't too loud. Are ducks louder than chickens?
Thanks!

I have two Cayuga drakes. They don't "quack" unless you approach them and them stop shortly after. I also heard that the Muscovies are very quiet but they fly

Quote:
If I might interject something here; Drakes don't quack very loudly compared to the hens. Have you had any hens? I've heard that they are rather silent. I had a cayuga ducklet that I had to hand raise, but she died before puberty so I actually don't know for myself how silent she was. Rouens I know are very silent. Breeds that aren't silent:
-Orpingtons
-Pekins
-Bessemers
-Swedes
-Campbells
-Calls (of course)

Quote:
Yeah, that's right. We've had scobies for a few years, and since they aren't technically even a duck, it seems fitting that they don't quack. They do hiss alot. And I hate their 'additude', always trying to kill things or mate with chickens or running into solid objects. I don't like those treeducks. If I ever become one of those fanciers who has all those exotic duck species, I'm not getting treeducks.

The only quiet ducks are Muscovy. All other ducks are noisy.

There is a constant low murmur coming from the flock of ducks and the females will blast out the occasional very loud string of quacks for no reason that I can see. There is always a huge loud hullabaloo whenever they see me coming out.

Drakes are not too loud, volume-wise. They chatter a lot, but it isn't loud. However, I recommend that you not add drakes to a flock of chickens. They would need to be separated. Without their own ducks, the drakes will attempt to make girlfriends of your hens.

Quote:
If I might interject something here; Drakes don't quack very loudly compared to the hens. Have you had any hens? I've heard that they are rather silent. I had a cayuga ducklet that I had to hand raise, but she died before puberty so I actually don't know for myself how silent she was. Rouens I know are very silent. Breeds that aren't silent:
-Orpingtons
-Pekins
-Bessemers
-Swedes
-Campbells
-Calls (of course)

Well I haven't had hens, no, but I researched and it says the breed, both male and female are good for urban areas because they are a quiet breed.

since they aren't technically even a duck

then why does every other BYCer on here post pics and talk about them in the duck forum?​

Back
Top Bottom