Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saxony

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hallow

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
Now that Metzer has posted their Spring availability, it is time for me to make the jump into ducks. I am in a very tight and quiet suburban area and will be getting 2-3 muscovy but would also like 3-4 female mallard-derivatives. Currently deciding between Silver Appleyard, Saxony, and Welsh Harlequin. Can anyone advise which of those three is the quietest. Focused on egg production over meat as I am not yet comfortable butchering, but noise-level is the most important factor.

Honestly I am not sure but I would assume they are all similar as far as noise goes. Only mallard derived ducks I know of that are kind of known for being quieter are Cayuga.

Muscovy are definitely a good idea, they are what I have because I am also in a neighborhood and I've never gotten any complaints because they really don't make much noise at all

Of the breeds you listed, I only have experience with Saxony and Welsh Harlequin. I also have 2 Anconas. The Saxony is by far the quietest. I don't know if that's typical of the breed, though, or if it's just her personality.

My welsh harlequin is so loud my neighbors can hear her from almost a mile away. She shout quacks all day. It has been non stop for nearly 6 years now. I'm sure it varies by individual duck. I've only had two WH and they were both very loud.

Someone else mentioned they had a quiet cayuga, and my cayuga was worse than my welshie.

I don't have experience with the other ducks in your poll. My pekin is also loud, but not as loud. My khaki campbells have been quieter, but I have a theory that it is because they are submissive in my flock.

Its a gamble it seems to me. I’ve worked with a number of breeds, and it seems pretty random who’s loud and who’s quiet.

I’ve had a quiet Cayuga, and a quiet Campbell, and some loud of each. My Appleyard group had 2 loud and one quiet. My Muscovy however are dead silent 95% of the time.

be careful if you have ornery neighbors.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like the only really safe option is the Muscovies all of the others at least have a chance of being loud. I love my muscovies, and so for both of my next door neighbors because 99% of the time they are very quiet,yrt they can still loudly honk when startled so if any were attacked by predators id be able to hear. I would say if you get any pekin derived you should at least talk to your neighbors first just to kind of see their opinions on potential loud quacking. I see someone was asking recently on the Saxony Duck Thread about the noise and a few people responded saying that theirs are quiet most of the day, so maybe look at that thread a bit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom