Quietjd Intro

Quietjd

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 21, 2012
Hi everyone. I finally got my password & login info straightened out and wanted to add an introduction. I have been a BYC fan for years but only posted when another new hen emergency surfaced. Our family left the big city over 30 years ago and we moved to a little town with 1 traffic light and lots of relaxed, content people with smiles on their faces. Best move we ever made! My husband had the same job title he has had for decades--just different work locations in SE Ohio. Our family was growing and we now had 1 acre to expand :) I always wanted my own chickens ever since my grandpa let me find an egg in the chicken baskets (before my brothers beat me to it). We now have 50+ chickens and a lot more experience at figuring out predators & protecting our flock. When Covid & food shipping shortages appeared this year, my husband and I thought it might be a good idea to up the number of our layers & meat birds, so that we would be better prepared to help our adult kids & their families if food shortages continued. My husband didn't give me a limit for the number of chicks this time(oh joy!!), so I am now caring for over 30 new chicks in addition to our older hens & roosters. I have had such a fun time this summer!! My husband has really worked at building a predator proof coop this summer, and also made 2 small coops for me. One coop is on our side porch filled with all my favorite tamer version of "dual purpose" hens/chicks. The other small coop is down the hill next to the big coop and it houses another batch of chicks, mostly Americana. This is my first batch of Welsummers with green legs & feet. They are really cute, and one chick just jumps in my hand when I come out to check on them! I have a lot of feathered friends now!! My birds & I cooperate pretty well with each other, except for a couple of roosters which have been really rough on the girls. As soon as I get the chicks a couple weeks older, my daughter & I are going to thin out the roos. It's nice to be able to share experiences.

Quietjd

Back
Top Bottom