Quit laying. HELP!!

debbie.h

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 12, 2009
Warm Springs, GA
I have an easter-egger that is almost one year old. She has been laying eggs but has not laid one for about three weeks. I have felt her abdominal area and she does't appear to be egg-bound. She has not changed in any fashion or manner except for not laying eggs. Any suggestion as to how I might be able to get her laying again?

It's winter, time to take a break! She may start molting...mine stopped laying in late November, then started molting in December. They have just started laying again in the last week. Yay! I don't know that there is anything you can do to make her lay, except maybe keep her coop lighted for longer than natural daylight.

I didn't think about her molting because all the other hens molted at the end of fall. I guess she is a little behind, but she did lay an egg today! I'm just glad nothing is wrong with her.

yep, i had the same exact question about 4 and 1/2 months ago. my Cuckoo Marans girl (who will be a year old on April 12th), stopped laying back in October and JUST picked back up a couple weeks ago! she took about 4 months off!!! but i love her so much, i would keep her if she never laid another egg again. but my other 3 chickens that are her age only took about 3 weeks off when they moulted. also, i thought a moult would look pretty pathetic, but i learned that some girls don't shed much feathers and can sometimes look no different during a moult. i DID find some of her feathers laying around, but they were few and far between. when my EE's moulted, i could tell, but it still didn't look as bad as some moulting pictures i've seen online. give her some time, hopefully she won't take as long as my girl!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom