1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quiting smoking

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dadsdeercamp, Apr 5, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    i am going to quit smoking on saturday the 9th. i've been smoking for 28 years. smoking 2 packs a day now. i have several medical issues diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, obesity, high cloresterol off the charts, and more. what im getting at is i get MEAN AND ANGERY when i dont have my cigs. i need some ideas to help me do this! i have 4 grandsons i want to see grow up.please HELP!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    It is one of the hardest things I have ever done... but you can do it! I quit 2 years ago but still have cravings. I wish you the best!

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hey- i quit last month- here is a suggestion- i started taking vitamins, and drinking licorice tea- had very little cravings- twice a day i took- Vit B stress vitamin, 2 vit e, 2 vit a, 1 anitoxident- after two weeks i shifted those to once a day- not sure if it will help- but it helped me-

4. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    I'm sure some vitamins would be good for me at least

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    go to the doctors.. they gave husband an antidepressant that really helped.. they can't do it for smoking, insurance won't cover it.. but if they put it down as depression you can get it.. then he used the patch along with it.. worked really well for him.. he was like you 2 packs for 30 yrs

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i think they help with cravings, and the b vitamins help with irritability- the other thing- society tells you its hard to quit- near impossible- don't buy their line- it is possible to quit- they tend to play smokers as fools- that makes me mad- yes i miss smoking, the actual activity- but with diabetes, high bloodpressure etc, made me really take a look at just how important was it to me? hang in there- you can do it!

7. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    i tried the antidepressant wellbutrin a few years ago but got very depressed and had to stop taking them

8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I quit a 2 pack a day/ 30 yr habit using the patch. It really helped with the cravings. I was only grouchy for about 3 days. I've been smoke free for over a year now. The patches gave me a skin rash, but I stuck with them. It was well worth it. Good luck to you.

9. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Quote:I've heard other people say this, but I don't get it. I guess I was lucky. I have no cravings, and once I made up my mind to quit, it really wasn't that hard. In fact, I'm a little repulsed by cigarette smoke now.

10. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Think about those amazing grandbabies!!! I quit and still have cravings, but I quit to get pregnant with my son and now I stay quit for my kids b/c like you I want to see them grow up. You can also talk to your doctor about Chantix, it worked wonders for my husband and the worst of the side-effects for him was bad gas, but well worth the stinky husband in the long run! Best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by