Quitter?

April0617

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
SE Wisconsin
I have 10 eggs under a broody. Neither of us have hatched before, and I've never candled eggs before so I'm sure the photo quality isn't great. We are on day 13ish. 8 for 10 look great, I see veins and movement. One looks like a dud from the start, and then there's this one:
PXL_20210503_162704013_exported_157983.jpg

If there are no veins or movement by day 13, it is most likely a quitter. Also, if the air sac looks good (it should look separate from the rest of the egg, no blending into it) then it might still be developing. If you are still unsure about it, I would put the egg back under the hen, (I would never throw an egg I’m unsure about our, and most of the times a hen can tell if an egg is bad, and will take care of it herself) but candle it again on day 16/17. The egg should have lost weight by then, have a larger air sac, and the dark area should almost fill up the egg. Overall, though, I think that one is a quitter.

I have 10 eggs under a broody. Neither of us have hatched before, and I've never candled eggs before so I'm sure the photo quality isn't great. We are on day 13ish. 8 for 10 look great, I see veins and movement. One looks like a dud from the start, and then there's this one:View attachment 2647647
also there's a chance that that egg never cooled. if it was placed under the hen right after it was laid it may have never been cooled from leaving the hen's warm body to being under the hen's warmth. this is jut a theory

Back
Top Bottom