1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quitting smoking on Chantix. :/

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cherstin, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Anyone here have any experience with this? I started yesterday, taking my first pill around noon after I went to the doctor's office. I came home, relieved my mom (who'd been babysitting my 8-month-old son), put him down for his nap, had some lunch, and tried to lay down myself.

I kept hearing things. Weird things. I swore, without a doubt, that I heard myself GASP really loudly, but it wasn't me. I know it wasn't me because I was still awake, and the sound came from somewhere over my shoulder, or so it seemed. Then I thought I heard a door close to our porch. Then I chalked that noise up to the air conditioner. But I kept hearing these weird sounds that weren't there, so I decided to get up.

The same thing happened at 11pm when I went to bed. My hearing was ultra-sensitive, and my timing was all weird. I closed my eyes at 11:12pm, and when my husband came to bed, his tiptoeing in the room woke me up. I looked at the clock, thinking it was surely after 1am ... but it was 11:20pm. Only 8 minutes had gone by.

It seemed like I was awake all night. I honestly don't remember sleeping until after the last time I looked at the clock, which was 3am.

When I got up at 7:30am, however, I feel well-rested. I took today's pill as soon as I woke up, so I hopefully won't have sleeping issues tonight.

Does anyone have any experience with this medication for quitting smoking? Will it get better? I'd call my doctor, but it's Saturday morning, and doing a Google search for "Chantix side effects" now has me considerably freaked-out. I want to hear from real people, hopefully with success stories but I understand if you have a negative story, too.

Thanks!

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Well i have both a good and bad story for you. Both of my parents took it. My mom it worked wonders for and she quit completly with no side effects. My step sister also took it and quit with out any side effects. i have heard other stories to of it working. The only one i have heard where it didnt was my dad. He tried it and by the second and thirI have not heard of sensitive hearing as a side effect though.

3. Coral Cluck

Coral Cluck New Egg

May 17, 2011
    With any thing new first pill you are sensitive to. Try and relax and enjoy the colorful dreams.

4. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Worked great for my husband to quit smoking, he was disgusted at the look of a cig. However, the suicidal dreams and anger problems scared him, so he stopped. The dreams and feelings lasted for 3 weeks after taking the medication.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've been 2 1/2 years smoke free. I smoked for 35 years and had no intention of giving up. I met some people on a forum that had another way that worked. Electronic cigarettes. I quit symptom free. there is so much information on this forum, it would be impossible to discuss it here. Go to
    e-cigarette-forum.com. Don't believe everything you hear outside this forum , most info out in public stemmed from the government protecting their biggest cash cow (tobacco smokers) with their half-truth information and lack of research. They lost in court trying to ban the e-cig. Now they are slowly singing a different tune. This electronic device is safer than Chantrix, patches, losenges, etc. The ecig is a steam producing device that produces smoke like vapor with virgin glycerin or pg, which is found in toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, and foods. Flavoring and a chosen amount of nicotine are added. Nicotine is not cancer causing in itself. It's a stimulant. Inhaling burning tobacco is cancer causing. Ecigs have the same nicotine used in patches , etc. I'll stop here.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I took it and have no crazy dreams no suicidal thoughts at all.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    My dad was able to quit smoking using Chantix, but he did have suicidal thoughts. He is smoking again [​IMG]
    Hope you have better luck.

8. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    3 yrs ago this month me, my husband and my brother all quit with Chantix. We've all been smoke-free since. I'd smoked for 36 yrs, since I was 12 yrs old. Took Chantix for 8 days and never smoked another cigarette when I laid down the pack. It made me feel sick to my stomach for about 30 min after I took it but that was a small price to pay to quit smoking. I don't even think about smoking anymore, it burns my eyes and nose to be around cigarette smoke. I have a healthy fear of cigarettes and respect for Chantix. I stayed on it for a month after I quit smoking and then quit taking it.

9. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    I had tried Chantix, and it was working good however it made me really depressed and the dreams I had were so vivid I didn't get much sleep. I stopped taking chantix picked up smoking again for another two years and then recently quite four months ago cold turkey.[​IMG]
    Good luck and I hope you beat cigarettes

10. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Have not used Chantix but I quit for about a year with Welbutrin. With that, I didn't have any bad effects until I quit using it and then I had terrible depression and anger. I'm still surprised my wife didn't divorce me over it.

Chantix maybe completely different but I would recommend researching what may happen when you come off of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by