1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Qustions about using an Araucana roo...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MA Mama, Mar 13, 2012.

1. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I have read that Araucana can be difficult to breed due to the missing last vertebrate. Is it the female body shape or the male body shape that is the problem? I have an Araucana roo over a mixed flock of hens. (All are very young, so I am looking into the future here...) Will he have difficulty, or is the problem with breeding Araucanas because the female lacks the last vertebrate? Both? Do you think I will have a problem with fertility? I am hoping that he does well and fertility is high. I'd like to have my kids see some chicks appear and grow the old fashioned way! :)

2. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I think what I am trying to ask in a non-graphic way is: Is is the male or the female having a missing last vertebrate that is the problem??

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    A little of both. However I have great fertility in my Araucana pens.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by