r chickens first eggs always small?

blackgiant18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
lancaster, ohio
im guessing its my black sexlink thats laying the eggs since my black giants take longer 2 mature but she has layed 2 eggs so far and both of them r small really small does anyone know if they get bigger as they lay more or is it something that im doing wrong? also it has bean really hot out the past month.

Not always, but often, first eggs will be small. Known as Fart or Wind eggs.
They should get bigger, as the pullet gets all the kinks worked out of her system.
You are not doing anything wrong

Imp

My White Rocks have been laying for about 2 weeks now and we just got a almost normal size egg this am. I think this is probably normal.

Just got my first eggs!!! And yes, they are small, but I expected that. They're so darn Cute! First one on Thursday, Second one Friday then two today (Saturday.) It's like the other hens are watching what's going on and getting the idea. Of course, all the eggs have so far been laid in the same box, even though there are 12 to choose from... 2 of my RIRs are laying. The SLWs are watching.

First eggs have been very exciting although they are small. My skinny16 yr old said those eggs aren't even enough to feed me. lol! Well now they are!!!

Back
Top Bottom