R.I.P. 4 hens, 1 roo. WHAT killed them?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by <3ChickenForever, May 5, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    RIP my only silkie [​IMG] Was a white one, so beautiful, I LOVED his crow so much. His neck was open when he got killed.
    Here's a pic of him. [Lilly]
    [​IMG]

RIP black sex-link mix, she was one of my kindess hens. She always came running up to me every time she saw me. Her name is Lola. She had just her neck torn open, head was still on.

RIP cochin mix, she was soo PRETTY and one of the old ones. Her name is Pepper. Head was all the way off and her breast was eaten and and some of the upper wings.

And these ones were mellow and a little bit slow ones. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Just wanted to say how sorry I am. Hope you catch what did it.Set a havart live trap.Home depot has large ones for $45.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Thanks guys.. what do you think it may be?

5. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Opposum will take large chunks from the breasts/neck if they find a roosting chicken. Just a guess though!

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I too have heard that opposum will do that but I have also read that raccoons will specifically go for the crop and/or the head. Have you ever had probs with coons?

I am really sorry about your silkie. I would have never thought I could love a chicken until we got some...and we've only had them for just over a week!!

7. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    2 more dead...

R.I.P. My favorite chicken that I trained and she was the first chicken I ever named in my life. Oero... I love you [​IMG]
    pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R.I.P. Kayla Jr. was my sisters.
    pics
    [​IMG]

Got killed last night. My dad thinks it might be a mink.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    WOW! Didn't you put those hens up in a safe place after what happened to the others???????????? How SAD!

9. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    You're dealing with a weasel or a mink. You need to lock up what birds you have left at night. Weasels can get through very small openings. You need to lock them up tight or you will lose them all.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If you are dealing with a mink or weasel, very hard to deter. Every little, tiny hole needs to be covered with 1/2" mesh to keep them out. Good luck. I am so sorry for your losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by