R.I.P. Abraham

Abetheroo

Chirping
Aug 29, 2020
Two days ago my Abraham went down protecting his flock. A barred owl got him. Odd thing is, it happened during the day. We buried him under our magnolia tree. I'm now wondering how I'm gonna find homes for 4 roosters because I know I'll never want to use them for meat. Do you get attached too?

Attachments

• 20200831_101923.jpg
    20200831_101923.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200916_113607.jpg
    20200916_113607.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I think many people have that problem. Not realizing how attached we would become to our tiny raptors. I'm so sorry you lost your boy. :hugsA good Roo steals our heart just as much as it does the hens Unfortunately It's hard to find a home For roosters. You could post them on rehoming thread on the site ,or Craigslist
Ive been wanting a roo for my new flock (miss having a roo) and I would be happy to take one but I'm sure chances are you don't live in Va

So sorry for your loss. Most of us have felt the pain of loss of one or more at one time. I get overly attached to many but there are no guarantees in life... It's hard to let go but it's something we have to deal with with.

I'm in north Florida - not too far from you - and have Barred Owls. They raise their young overhead. Seeing the babies grow up brings me a lot of joy. For that reason I haven't clear cut my property which means my free ranging chickens have aerial predators to deal with (and hawks too). So I don't let them free range until they are about four months old and too big for the birds to steal. I also have dogs free range with them and crows....

Back
Top Bottom