R.I.P. Big Red

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kaitie09, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Went out this morning to find our RIR had passed. She was 8yrs old and the first chicken we had. She came from Murry McMurry's with a group of 25 to my aunt's farm. We were given 4 when they are 4 months old. A week later, A fox massacred the ones at my aunts house, leaving our 4 left. She survived a dog attack, multiple new chickens, some feisty roosters, and the move to the big new coop.

the first day we got her
    [​IMG]

She is survived by her daughter, 3 grand daughters, and a grandson.

(order from right to left)
    [​IMG]

She layed her last egg for us last night, and we went out to find our broody has taken to sitting on it. We will hatch her last with hopes that we can get a new grandbaby to carry on her memory.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    RIP you beautiful RIR

I'm sorry for your loss, and she seems like she was a great gal to own for a great long 8 years!

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    So sorry for your loss! Sounds like she had a wonderful life with you! [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

She must have led a good chicken life to make it to 8 years of age. [​IMG]

5. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loose a favorite chicken. [​IMG]

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Here's to hoping for a new grandbaby. [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. For 8 yrs she had to have had a great life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by