R.I.P Chesnut (Chessy) :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by raiderbabe239, Nov 5, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    im going to start shooting hawks! me and my neighbor both there are wayy to many and hers and my chickens keep getting killed!

today when i got home from work i went out to give all my chickens treats and i noticed 5 ofthem werent there 1 of the roos and 4 hens, well i went to check around the back pine tree where they all hang out in the palmetto bushes and a hawk flew up into the air from the ground, thats when i saw the feathers, everywhere and half the body layingthere so i went looking for the rest of them and they came flying out of the bushes and didnt leave my side until they were back with the flock. when i went to bury her i notice there was a fully formed egg inside of her that she was probably going to go lay so i took the egg and rinsed it off and stuck itin the bator, hopefully this baby will hatch and carry on chessy's beauty and personality, r.i.p chessy you will be missed [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry about Chessy. Hawks are migrating now and you may need to keep them in a safe pen for awhile since it is illegal to shoot a bird of prey. I know how you must feel, though.

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I am so sorry for your loss. Hawks are going to be around, and they have to eat too. Its very sad tho for the roaming chickens and their owners.

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Somewhere there is a thread about putting up shiny stuff like DVD that twinkle in the light to keep the hawks away. You might search around. So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by