R.I.P. Post pics of your lost & loved birds here.

Miss Sebright

Little Hen.....Big Attitude!
12 Years
Apr 3, 2009
In a nutshell
I thought you could post pics or tell stories about your bird/birds that have died. I recently lost River 2 days ago, here she is.
26999_pict0140.jpg
26999_pict0134.jpg
26999_pict0118.jpg
26999_pict0135.jpg
26999_pict0131.jpg
26999_pict0130.jpg
26999_pict0161.jpg
26999_pict0754.jpg

What a beautiful girl, I know you miss her.
hugs.gif

This is my Lilly. I lost her last year to heart failure. She was 9 months old.

HPIM3409Small.jpg

HPIM3199Small.jpg

HPIM3201Small.jpg

This is my Fancy

HPIM3581_editedSmall.jpg

This is my Farrah

Farrah.jpg

So many have come and gone, but one in particular stands out.

15806_pict0004.jpg

This is Emma, a bantam EE. I'm not sure of what she died from, but I think it was a severe case of roundworms
sad.png
She was my son's favorite, he cried for days after she passed. She was the best little mama, and very sweet. He still talks about her, and it's been over a year.

What a wonderful idea Miss Sebright. Thank you for starting this thread.

Here is my number one girl. Gimpy. She was always by my side anytime I was in the yard. If I was digging around in the flowerbed, Gimpy was right there, helping me to turn over the soils, rake it out and get all of the nasty little bugs out of there. She would run to me anytime I came outside. Not for food, but for cuddles. Even if all I was doing was sitting on the porch of the little cabin, Gimpy was perfectly content to nestle down and spend a quiet moment with me.

She was brutally taken from me in October of this year by the vicious jaws of neighborhood dog. I wish I knew who that dog belonged to!
somad.gif

Adaywiththegirls052.jpg

This is a great picture of our little Lacey. (yes, that's Gimpy in the background! )This little girl had such a huge sense of humor. She was also one who loved to be with us out in the yard, no matter what we were doing. Sometimes she could be a down right pest with her desire to be involved in the projects we were working on. It always seemed like every time I turned around, there was Lacey, looking up at me with just this very expression on her face. Always inquisitive, always curious. She too was killed by the same dog that got my beloved Gimpy, but a month, almost to the day, before Gimpy. ( I really need to find out who that rotten animal belongs to!
somad.gif
)

Adaywiththegirls037.jpg

And this is little LizzyBeth, my special needs child that some of you are familiar with. She came to us this last spring from the local feed and farm supply store along with her two sisters Rachel and Rosie. Unbeknown to us, LizzyBeth had permanent brain damage caused by the actions of one nasty little boy who picked her up and slammed her down into the sales bin where she had been waiting for her forever family to come along and take her home. (Have I ever mentioned how much I despise people who don't control their children in a public place or that don't teach their children to respect all living things?
somad.gif
)

Denny had purchased Lizzy and her two sisters on a whim when he was in town one Saturday afternoon, in early April. We had just lost Mildred, one of my BO, of a completely mysterious cause. I came into the coop in the morning to find her on the floor. She looked as though she had decided to go to sleep there and never woke up. She was absolutely fine the night before when I closed them in and collected eggs. To this day, I still don't know what caused her demise
hu.gif
Anyhow, Denny felt bad that I was so miserable at loosing one of my girls, so I'm pretty sure that's why he purchased me the trio of BR as a surprise.

He had let the sales clerk select the chicks (something I never do as I'm too picky! ) paid for them and brought them home. That's when I quickly discovered that there was something definitely wrong with LizzyBeth. She wobbled something horrible and couldn't seem to hold her head up right. Within about two hours of bringing her home, I witnessed her first seizure. Almost like an epileptic fit. It was most disturbing, let me tell you!

Anyhow, long story short, Lizzy needed me. I couldn't turn my back on her, even though the store offered a replacement. Anyone else probably would have put her down the minute they discovered her disability.
sad.png
But, I just couldn't do it! She was so helpless and sweet. If she could have spoken, I'm sure she would have said, "I'm OK, just give me a chance" ...so I did...and I never regretted it!

She was always a delight to have around, seizures and all. She would come to me just as fast as her wobbly little head and neck would let her, any time I called, just for cuddles, or maybe a choice piece of food. She was one of the sweetest birds I have ever known. She and Gimpy were the best of friends. Gimpy kind of looked out for Lizzy and would even stand protectively over her when Lizzy would have one of her seizures. And that just goes to show how special Gimpy was!
wink.png

This last Saturday, at exactly 10 months of age to the day, LizzyBeth was taken from us by a Cooper Hawk. Denny witnessed the whole horrid event, but he was too far away to prevent it from happening.

She had been out in the middle of the yard, happily pecking and scratching about when the hawk swooped down out of the trees without warning. Denny said if she had been able to run a straight line, it's possible she might have made it to cover. But, instead, she had a seizure, probably out of sheer fright, and the hawk got her. But, he didn't get to enjoy his meal, thankfully. Denny saw to that.

She was laid to rest next to Mildred and Mavis (sorry, no pictures of them) who passed away earlier this year. I shall forever miss all three of these very special girls. No matter how many girls we bring home in the future, these three will always have a very, very special place in my heart.

This is LizzyBeth when she was about three or four months old.

LizzyBethat4months001.jpg

This is Sandy my beloves leghorn pullet who died almost a year ago from today. It's reaally hitting home this time of the year.
hit.gif

16241_img_0117.jpg

She's on the right
16241_img_0114.jpg
\\

The one in the middle
16241_img_0109.jpg

In the end there was a new begining. On Jan 1st her 3 eggs hatched. She gave me 2 boys (rehomed) and a beautiful little girl which I named Iona. She really does look like her mom.
16241_img_0660.jpg

16241_img_1607.jpg

16241_img_1604.jpg

Back
Top Bottom