1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

R.I.P..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Duck-Madx, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Duck-Madx

Duck-Madx Out Of The Brooder

About 45 minutes ago, i returned from the store.
    The Only Thing I haven't got yet, is a coop for when the chicks are older. But I'll get that at a later date.
    I was feeling very calm, and happy that i'd managed to get everything my chicks would need.
    The Chick, dyed green, that hadn't been eating...Well. As Soon as i came back home, and checked up on the chicks. It was laying there - still.
    I knew, with great sadness, the poor thing hadn't survived.
    It wasn't that much of a shock, seeing as it had been acting very different from the other chicks since i got them.
    I still have no idea how it happened though.
    Maybe it's linked, to the fact he was dyed?(As some say, it can be toxic)Or Just kept in a bad condition at the pet shop, and has affected it worse than the others.

Any of You Got Any ideas?
    It saddens me that i was even about to give the vet a call..

Well. I'm Not going To Blame Myself completely, I did all my very best to help him. Well, I did save him from a very young child who wouldn't of cared the least about it probably after a few days.
    I never even got any pictures [​IMG]

R.I.P, My Determined Little Chick.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  2. Duck-Madx

Duck-Madx Out Of The Brooder

Oh, And Also. Today I Noticed On One of my other chicks, a few brown feathers against the pink colour, on the wing.
    Im Very Happy! [​IMG] Stupid Dye!!!

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Oh, I'm so sorry [​IMG]

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    :aww I'm so sorry. No, don't blame yourself at all, you are doing a wonderful thing taking these little guys in.
    It's so frustrating to know what the little peeps ( and bunnies, ducklings, etc) go through in the name of sheer entertainment for the ignorant. [​IMG]
    Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. Your little peeps are lucky that you found them!

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bummer...[​IMG]
    He could've been the runt of the litter or it just wasn't meant for him to be here that long...but you may his few days joyful and filled with love and care...[​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Don't feel bad. I lost a chick this spring that had everything going for it - a real hen for a mom, and it was as healthy as could be. It was just gone one day, and I don't know why. Sometimes Nature has her own reasons for things.
    [​IMG]

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Duck-Madx [​IMG] Just know that the little greenie had a wonderfull few last days. I am sure he, and the other know that. You enjoy the ones you have left...as I am sure they will make you very happy for many years...you did a good thing...just know, altho its very saddening...it was not your fault.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by