Rabbbit Feed or Laying Feed?

Some rabbit feeds have a bunch of salt in them. Also, check the ingredients. Feed is more than just macro nutrients. The right balance of vitamins and minerals is also important. That said, almost anything can work as feed with enough variety. One other issue, I cant see rabbit feed being cheaper.

I am not concerned about the cost. LOL, I was comparing the nutrient value.
wink.png

Like RIBill said, rabbit feed has too much salt in it. If you're looking to up the protien you could switch to gamebird feed. It's still formulated for poultry, but has a higher (18%-27%) protien content. I have a mixed species/age flock so that's all I feed here. It doesn't have enough calcium in it for the girls that are laying, but putting oystershell out freechoice takes care of that.

What would be ideal for me? I have a 6 month old black sex link hen, and 2 adult (older) Silver Dorking Roosters. She has not layed at all yet. I am feeding them Big M Feed pellets mixed with cracked corn. Could this be why she has not layed yet?

It's more likely that she hasn't layed yet because she's hitting maturity at the same time the days have gotten so short. Mixing the cracked corn into the feed (depending on the amount) could have a bit to do with it as well though. The cracked corn lowers the overall protien and nutrition of the feed your mixing it with. I give my birds cracked corn scratch most days, but I just throw it out on the ground for them--It's like dessert and you don't want to overdue it.

I do think your bigger problem is going to be having two roos and only one hen. I'm really surprised the boys haven't started overmating her even though she hasn't started laying yet.

ETA: If you're thinking about switching to gamebird the 18% would be fine for you. The roos would be ok on the layer too so it's really more about what makes you comfortable and what is available in your area.

Last edited:
Well, i was just comparing the ingredients between my rabbit feed and my Purina Flock Raiser, and finding them very similar, i was just about to post a similar thread to this one.

There is less salt in the rabbit feed than in the flock raiser, and since my chickens get more food from free ranging than from the feeder, i think i am going to make the switch and save $5.00 per 50lb bag.

I used to use gamebird grower feed but discovered that the only one offered by my feed store, contains antibiotics. That's why i originally switched to flock raiser, and i had to have that special ordered. So without driving a good distance AND paying substantially more per bag, rabbit food is starting to sound like a good option.

I guess if the feeder was their only source of food, i would be more concerned, but since it isn't.....

Back
Top Bottom