Rabbit and chickens?

Gracegirl16

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
My chickens live contentedly together in the coop and run. My rabbit is in a cage by herself. Will it be safe to put her in the chicken run with the chickens during the day? If so, what is the best way to introduce? I also have a rooster...will that be a problem?

Rabbits and chickens can go together just fine! My friend keeps one rabbit in a pen with about 25 chickens. Its a little messy for the rabbit. Try placing the rabbit in a cage inside the chicken pen for about a week. I've been told if its a male rabbit they can be some what aggressive/playful with the chickens. If your chickens are not little there shouldn't be a problem.
bun.gif

The chickens are about 23 weeks old. Ok...thanks! What do I do with the rabbits water? And also, my rabbit is a dwarf. Will that influence anything?

Last edited:
My rabbits share the water with the chickens. The rabbit food feeder is hung up on the wall and they get to it just fine. This morning, I was watching the bunnies have hypertime (they are most active at dawn and dusk) and to my chagrin, the larger ran right up the ramp into the coop! I was braced for flying feathers and fur, but they didn't care one bit. Boo-boo rabbit hopped right back out and ran around a bit more and the girls (and Joe) didn't even bother coming out until the sun was up a bit more. Now, my chickens are 10 - 12 weeks old - they seems to have just accepted the rabbits as funny looking chickens......I am guessing that if Boo-boo tries that stunt once they are full grown, they'll let her know to stay the heck out of the coop
smile.png
Other than my bout with hypertension this AM - all has been just fine!

The Motley Crew:

102722_motley_crew.jpg

We have a colony for our rabbits (3 does and a buck) and then a giant chicken tractor. When we were free ranging, the 2 month old chicks never come out or stay close to the coop (probably all the hawks!) Well, our male rabbit was out and he ran right into the coop and was checking out the chicks (He is a holland lop and weighs about 3 pounds). The chicks were not sure about him and he was super interested in them.

their run gets too dirty to quick for me to want our pedigreed show rabbits to live in there, but if they were just pets maybe.

Back
Top Bottom