Rabbit Banding Castration

That $400 quote to castrate a rabbit is outrageous.
The other place over a half hour each way from my house that was willing to do it quoted $275 neuter and $325 spay.. made the $400 charged my regular vet a real consideration.

Makes the rabbit adoptions at the Ashland county shelter a steal, already altered at 1/$25 or 2/$40. :bun

Ive used an elastrator on bull calves. A band sized for a bull calf would be way to large and would be impossible to stretch open without a pliers.

What did you use? A link.
Just curious. What size bull calves are you talking about? The one I used was for lambs, kids, and calves up to a few weeks of age. I can't imagine that it could not be used on a rabbit but it wouldn't have occurred to me to try.

Just curious. What size bull calves are you talking about? The one I used was for lambs, kids, and calves up to a few weeks of age. I can't imagine that it could not be used on a rabbit but it wouldn't have occurred to me to try.

Up to a month. Got to do them early. This is what I used. The size of the rings shown are are pretty close to the actual size I was using but still i think a buck could pull the testicle through the unstretched center opening.
41SnFePFcdL._AC_SY400_ML1_.jpg

Would rabbits be a candidate for using a Burdizzo? Ag teacher in school had one, pretty slick.
No. Unless you are raising angora rabbits for wool and want to pen several males together I personally don't understand why you would want to castrate a rabbit anyway.

Up to a month. Got to do them early. This is what I used. The size of the rings shown are are pretty close to the actual size I was using but still i think a buck could pull the testicle through the unstretched center opening. View attachment 1986311
Your bands are bigger than the ones I used. The opening in my green elastrator bands is much smaller than the opening in those.

OK. I'll try again. It is hard to tell anything from a picture, but I am making the assumption that the picture showed them life size. That said, the opening in the unstretched band is plainly visible. In mine, it is not. It is smaller than a size 4 knitting needle.

Back
Top Bottom