Rabbit breeder's thread!

Please welcome these 5 little ones into the world!
Today at 3:20pm Oreo had a nice speedy delivery :) already in love with them all!

Mother(also has a few black spots along her spine) & father, Bradly
he is more like a sable point

Hi everyone! I hope I can get some opinions. I hope I have posted in the correct thread. I am not a rabbit breeder or have an interest in breeding HOWEVER I have one female rabbit and want tp get another one so she is not so lonely, because she is housed outside. I understand that rabbits can or could fight but I am willing to work at socializing them. Question is what would work better a fixed female or a fixed male? She is older; unsure of her age because she was a stray we found. I found a local shelter that has rabbits for adoption and they are all fixed and have had shots. I found one that is a female and looks like her twin lol I know this sounds weird but are rabbits more likely to get along better with one that looks as they do as far as breeds? There is also a cute 1yr old Lionhead male ....but I don't know if a younger rabbit would have more energy and tend to annoy her.

Will fixed males still have the drive to mate?

Thank you...I just want to make the right choice
Kelly

Here is my almost 2 yr old mini rex hannah. we just bred her for the first time 2 days ago with a blk/white mini rex 8 month old male. i will post a pic of him in a bit and i will def add photos of the babies in 28-33 days.

Hi everyone! I hope I can get some opinions. I hope I have posted in the correct thread. I am not a rabbit breeder or have an interest in breeding HOWEVER I have one female rabbit and want tp get another one so she is not so lonely, because she is housed outside. I understand that rabbits can or could fight but I am willing to work at socializing them. Question is what would work better a fixed female or a fixed male? She is older; unsure of her age because she was a stray we found. I found a local shelter that has rabbits for adoption and they are all fixed and have had shots. I found one that is a female and looks like her twin lol I know this sounds weird but are rabbits more likely to get along better with one that looks as they do as far as breeds? There is also a cute 1yr old Lionhead male ....but I don't know if a younger rabbit would have more energy and tend to annoy her.

Will fixed males still have the drive to mate?

Thank you...I just want to make the right choice
Kelly
Hi Kelly,
Personally, I would go with a fixed male. Females tend to be territorial on good days, so it would be much easier to integrate a female with a male rather than another female. The age doesn't really matter energy-wise. The level of activity is more a personality trait than an age one. Rabbits will hump to establish dominance, it's not just for breeding.
Kathryn

Here is my almost 2 yr old mini rex hannah. we just bred her for the first time 2 days ago with a blk/white mini rex 8 month old male. i will post a pic of him in a bit and i will def add photos of the babies in 28-33 days.

^^^^^ This is my 8-9 month old buck Bacon Bit!!! We bred him to the black mini rex female above. her name is hannah

^^^^^ This is my 8-9 month old buck Bacon Bit!!! We bred him to the black mini rex female above. her name is hannah
They are both very cute. I hope you get some adorable babies out of them!
bun.gif

Hi Kelly,
Personally, I would go with a fixed male. Females tend to be territorial on good days, so it would be much easier to integrate a female with a male rather than another female. The age doesn't really matter energy-wise. The level of activity is more a personality trait than an age one. Rabbits will hump to establish dominance, it's not just for breeding.
Kathryn
Thank you, I got a fixed male today! I brought my rabbit to the shelter to meet some rabbits and she did well with Newman

My daughter was in 4H and showed rabbits many years ago. She tried several breeds, but the breed we absolutely loved was the Mini Rex. They are just beautiful and had the calmest personalities of all the breeds she tried. I don't know if that is still true or not, but it was 20 some years ago. Now my grandson is getting interested in 4H so we are starting with chickens and will probably move on to rabbits soon............Mini Rex will be at the top of our list.

Back
Top Bottom