Rabbit breeder's thread!

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
Hello rabbit breeders! I thought it would be fun to start a thread about breeding rabbits! This will be a place to discuss breeding, kindling, showing, standards, and post pics of our buns to show them off or even ask for critiques!

I will start off...

I raise Self and broken Netherland Dwarfs (focusing in chocolates) and Dwarf Hotots. PaSRBA was my first show as a spectator but I will be showing for the first time at Butler, then Lebanon, Lancaster, maybe York, and who knows where else! I just bred my first doe 2 nights ago and am super excited!

Can't wait to hear all about everyone elses bunnies!

Can I qualify as rabbit breeder?
I'm just raising some crossbred rabbits for meat use.
I've got 5, 3 bucks & 2 does. 1 rex cross, 1 florida white(?) 1 satin cross & 2 unknown.
I'm hoping one doe is due to kindle early march.
smile.png

Sounds like a good thread to me! I have 11 Rabbits. A Rex Buck, Doe Netherland Dawrf, 2 Blue Eyed White Lionhead Bucks, 3 Blue Eyed White Lionhead Does and 3 Blue Eyed White carrier Does and a Big old sweetheart Mix Doe. I do not show but bought my bunnies from Show stock. Had my first litter last year. I am concentrating on the BEW Lionheads.

Not a breeder but have a question-

My son has decided to show rabbits for a 4-H project. We don't have any yet but we purchased a FFA book on raising rabbits. My son has found several breeds he likes but I am curious as to your opinions as to what breeds are better or more gentle. He likes the lionhead but we read that they were not a standard breed. He is 10 and an amazing kid with his chickens. I know he will be just as thorough with rabbits.

How do I find a good local breeder? I want one that has show quality not just breeding like bunnies so to speak. I am assuming just going to the pet store is not the best way to get a good rabbit. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Yay! I breed rabbits too! I don't show mine though, I breed mine for meat. We have the standard Rex in a few different colors and New Zealands. I've even crossed the two a little and gotten some good results! I LOVE my rabbits!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I will try to help and others can chime in. I read that Lionheads MAY start being recognized this year. Also, Rabbits like dogs, cats and horses have different temperments depending on breed. Also, does he like grooming or does he want a shorthaired breed for easy keeping. I had Jersey Woolies which have a very calm easy going temperment but do require brushing. I now have a Rex and absolutely Love his fur and temperment. He sounds like he will be good with just about any breed if he cares for chickens. I just love them ALL and it is a tough decision. Not much help, huh? Ha ha

Just pick what you like and research on the internet. That is how I chose mine. Best of Luck and keep us informed!

I wouldn't start with lionheads even if they are close to being accepted. They still need a lot of work. What other breeds is he interested in? I would think only a handful would not be suitable for a responsible child to start with.

I am a beginner and have a question. last sunday my first litter was born. I am in NH and they are in an unheated shed. the mom stuffs the nest box with hay and fur but does not stay in it. do they normally stay with the babies or just go in to feed them?

They do not stay with the babies. That was a concern I had with my first litter. I was worried she was not feeding them. The mother will usually feed when you are not looking. I had 5 happy, healthy babies. We tend to worry to much. I am sure they are fine with the fur nest. Do you know what the temp is in the barn?

Rabbits only feed their kits once or twice a day and only for minutes at a time. You may never even see her in the nest especially if she knows it's cold and avoids opening it until she has a lot of milk built up to feed them.

Back
Top Bottom