Rabbit breeder's thread!

in my experience in raising rabbits I have had two that died from having their food switched. Keep him on his regular food and provide plenty of hay to help his digestion. If he doesn't pick his weight back up bring him to the vet.
Wow I never knew this...I am not really a rabbit person. I ended up with my first rabbit because the prior tenants left her behind in the garden to fend for herself...We are in New Hampshire and have bad winters so I took her in. She has been very easy to keep, she just seemed lonely so I went and adopted Newman. The shelter did tell me he was a picky eater but didn't make it clear that he could die from having his food switched...I switched it by mixing it w the old food then last month thoughtlessly I bought a bag of what they had at Tractor Supply. Lesson learned...I just figured when the bowl was empty they were "both" eating. Thank you for the advice, I am keeping an eye on him...I feel terrible he must have been starving himself

Wow I never knew this...I am not really a rabbit person. I ended up with my first rabbit because the prior tenants left her behind in the garden to fend for herself...We are in New Hampshire and have bad winters so I took her in. She has been very easy to keep, she just seemed lonely so I went and adopted Newman. The shelter did tell me he was a picky eater but didn't make it clear that he could die from having his food switched...I switched it by mixing it w the old food then last month thoughtlessly I bought a bag of what they had at Tractor Supply. Lesson learned...I just figured when the bowl was empty they were "both" eating. Thank you for the advice, I am keeping an eye on him...I feel terrible he must have been starving himself
No problem, if u have any more questions let me know.:) good luck with him.:)

This is my rabbit's eye. Tonight it has gotten very dry ..it looks painful. What can I do until I get him to a Vet? I have wiped it with a wet cloth but I was wondering if I can use bacitracin neomycin polymyxin ointment that is used on Cats n dogs??? My Vet cant see him until Thurs...that to me is to long.

I thought this was due to a food allergy at first because I switched his food ...he has started eating small amounts, is pooping n peeing.

This is my rabbit's eye. Tonight it has gotten very dry ..it looks painful. What can I do until I get him to a Vet? I have wiped it with a wet cloth but I was wondering if I can use bacitracin neomycin polymyxin ointment that is used on Cats n dogs??? My Vet cant see him until Thurs...that to me is to long.

I thought this was due to a food allergy at first because I switched his food ...he has started eating small amounts, is pooping n peeing.

I just flushed it with saline...I am so worried

I use this product on my rabbits when I see an eye problem: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674. It works really well and very fast. Usually their eyes will be back to normal in 2 days of using it once a day.
A lot of times my Lionheads get runny eyes, because the wool on their cheeks gets into their eyes and causes irritation. I can't tell from the picture if this is what's happening with yours, but it could be. Again, using Terramycin Ointment really helps.
I'd also suggest perhaps isolating this bunny from your other rabbit, as a runny eye can sometimes be a sign of something worse.

I use this product on my rabbits when I see an eye problem: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674. It works really well and very fast. Usually their eyes will be back to normal in 2 days of using it once a day.
A lot of times my Lionheads get runny eyes, because the wool on their cheeks gets into their eyes and causes irritation. I can't tell from the picture if this is what's happening with yours, but it could be. Again, using Terramycin Ointment really helps.
I'd also suggest perhaps isolating this bunny from your other rabbit, as a runny eye can sometimes be a sign of something worse.
I flushed his eye with saline and used the ointment I have his eye is no longer watery its super dry and fur is sticking to it. It is 5:30am I just need to wait a few more hours until a clinic is open....

I had to put him down today at the Vet. He had abssesed teeth in the back and a bad infection behind his eye.
sad.png
I only had him a month..I can't believe the animal shelter let him go like that..they must have known? He was seen by a Vet while in their care...I mean it just doesn't make sense. I am so upset...and my poor female rabbit...I had gotten him so she wouldn't be lonely and now she had gotten used to him and hes gone. What an awful day

No problem, if u have any more questions let me know.
smile.png
good luck with him.
smile.png
He had to get put down. I adopted him from a shelter last month for my female...and I can't believe they didn't notice he had abssesed teeth. They knew he didn't eat veggies..that should have been a red flag when I signed for him but at the moment I was just so happy my female rabbit wouldn't be lonely anymore.

He had to get put down. I adopted him from a shelter last month for my female...and I can't believe they didn't notice he had abssesed teeth. They knew he didn't eat veggies..that should have been a red flag when I signed for him but at the moment I was just so happy my female rabbit wouldn't be lonely anymore. 
I am so sorry to hear that it's always hard to lose bunnies!:( and they should have noticed but u never know if they knew and didn't care

new to bunnies, got my first today (as an adult anyway.. ..) a female Mini rex mix, 7 weeks old. I'm worried she isn't drinking water. its in the high 80's so she needs to stay hydrated. are there any tricks to get them to drink?

Back
Top Bottom