Rabbit breeder's thread!

Quote:
Have you thought about just buying a wire cage and possibly building a frame around it. That is what we are doing. We were going to buy a big 5cage thing I found on CL, but I got to looking around last night and pricing wire cages. So much cheaper to just buy the wire cages. If you have TSC near you here is a link for one of the cages http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-ca...house-trade-rabbit-cage-24-in-x24-in--2179407 Seems pretty affordable to me. I am going tomorrow to buy 7 of them.

Quote:
If you choose to do this, you risk exposing your rabbits to diseases, parasites (wild rabbits) and predators (owls, coons etc). You certainly may... but I wouldn't do it. Not to mention, you won't be able to control breeding by the pair, and that of any offspring.

I would also provide separate housing for them unless you plan on breeding the female continuously, and even then she should have a separate cage to raise her young away from the male.

Quote:
If you choose to do this, you risk exposing your rabbits to diseases, parasites (wild rabbits) and predators (owls, coons etc). You certainly may... but I wouldn't do it. Not to mention, you won't be able to control breeding by the pair, and that of any offspring.

I would also provide separate housing for them unless you plan on breeding the female continuously, and even then she should have a separate cage to raise her young away from the male.

Even if you wanted to breed her, I wouldn't let them run together. Not only would I be worried about the male harming the babies, but he can breed her right away after giving birth and she can get pregnant again. Rabbits are so quick, that even if you thought you could watch them, it only takes a second for him to breed her which wouldn't give you enough time to break them up.

rabbitgeek-

Thank you so much for the great info. I have had several people tell me to stay away from Lionheads. Apparently, they are a rcognized breed starting this year. Our 4-H rabbit leader cut out an article out of the ARBA magazine saying they are official now. But I would like to coax my son into something a little larger. Our leader's daughter had a lilac rex and a champagne d'argente. I really like the size of them and their beautiful soft coat. We like the silver fox too.

Our leader is taking us to a rabbit show in mid march and he says this is a great place to buy rabbits. Now its just a matter of being patient.

I saw someone's photo that had rabbits and chickens together. I wondered if this would be OK? We have a large chicken tractor that we keep young birds in and wondered if the rabbit could go in there too, even if just to hop around.

Thanks again.

Quote:
I got a book at the library and photocopied instructions. I then went to tractor supply and bought a cage as a sample. I have used it for 2 weeks and I like it. bought wire friday. now to build. Hubby is making me a bunny house. it will have cage racks and will be build so waste goes toward back wall. there will be 2 sets of double doors in that wall so I can clean from outside.

15886_my_chickens_851.jpg

15886_my_chickens_850.jpg

would love to have opinions on this style of nest box. I put a cardboard liner over the wire bottom. the lid has hinges that can be removed for the summer.

I wouldn't recommend that "V" style opening since it could cause damage to the doe and could be difficult for the kits coming and going, and in very cold weather I'd use more than a carboard liner on wire would since it would be warmer. Maybe a wood insert for lining the bottom during the winter and a thinner liner in warmer weather, with only a partial top instead of completely enclosed...and maybe a wired vent in the back if closed.

Enjoyed seeing everyone's pics!

im going to be getting at least 4-5 female rabbits. i have 3 males. im going to breed 1 of the males to some of the females and the other male to the other females.
im curious, i have a cage about 8 ft long and 4 foot wide. can i put all the females in the same pen even when they have babies or if this not recomended. i have other cages i was just trying to save space and was wondering if its bad if they are all together. whats the bad and good things about this?

Quote:
I'd go with champagnes or rex. The Champagnes are much calmer than most other large breeds of rabbits. We call them playdough bunnies, since you can mold them into any shape and have them stay there. They are a bit heavy and large for tiny hands, though. You may want to get a small showmanship rabbit for him to go along with the bigger bunnies.

Back
Top Bottom