Rabbit breeder's thread!

Quote:
what shape would be better for the opening? I put extra cardboard that is a single piece about half an inch thick under the nest box. I too thought some extra insulation would be good. the bunnies are in solid bottom cages right now while the bunny house is being built. I was thinking of making some nestboxes for the summer with a top that covers the back third. that way mom could sit on top. I like the idea of a vent in the back.

I have used the advice you guys gave last week. last week I had a first time mom deliver 1 live and 2 dead kits. I put her in the cellar to keep the kit warm. well, sunday I had an experienced mom have 2 kits. I found 1 dead and one cold stiff and not moving. I picked it up to dispose of and it moved a little. I unzipped my coat and put it up against my shoulder to warm it. I decided to try the foster mom thing. I brought the poor frozen thing to the foster mom. rubbed the babe on her,opened the nest box and rubbed the 2 kits together, then put fur around the new kit. within a few hours the kit went from chalk white to pink. I just checked on them. the little one has a very full belly. I would never have know what to do if not for you guys. the little bun and I want to thank you for the help.
hugs.gif
bun.gif

Quote:
Your 4H leader is mistaken. The Lionheads are not official. They are still a breed in development. The previous holder of Certificate Of Development failed and the next holder of COD takes over. A new Working Standard was printed. Lionheads can be shown at ARBA shows but cannot compete for Best In Show. Lionheads cannot be registered under ARBA and cannot apply for Grand Champion Certificate.

This also means the Working Standard can change from year to year.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

Maybe rounded or even flat across so she doesn't drag on it. I'm thinking a very young kit could possibly get wedged in the V, especially when they first start crawling in and out of the box. A removable false bottom made of wood could be put inside on top of the wire for added insulation. You know, thinking about the summer boxes you want to make with 1/3 tops...since your boxes already have hinged tops maybe they could do double duty so you wouldn't have to build more...perhaps you could just make a cut in the existing hinged top 2/3's of the way back...then in the summer just remove the hinged front 2/3 section, leaving the back 1/3 section as a perch. Just an idea. By the way, if you built the nest box in the pic you did a great job!

hubby built the box. he has built me so much between chickens and bunnies. sunday we went to lowes and bought some tools for me. I want to learn how to build to give him a break. I had him build me a bunch of resting platforms. the buns love them. I am always coming up with small things I need. I get alot of ideas. he told me tonight that the new bunny house is 16 feet long. his work shop is in a different town so I have not seen it. it will be coming home on a car carrier.

Quote:
AWW! Great story. It is sad to find dead babies but you SAVED one. Hope everything goes well from here on!

I check the kits every day. I have 3 moms with a total of 12 kits. fingers crossed, so far so good. If you guys can think of anything I should know to keep these guys healthy, I am all ears.

do I need to change the bedding in the nest box or should I leave it alone?
one mom needs a bigger cage. can I safely move her and the kits to a new cage or should I leave them alone? she is the foster mom so the youngest was born sunday.

I left my nest box alone for the first week or so... when I did change bedding, I pulled out the top layor with straw, fur and babies and emptied out the bottom stuff., put in fresh and put the top layor back in. Once their eyes were open, I changed the full contents often to keep it dry. Once they started spending more time out of the box, I took it out...6 wks I think.

Back
Top Bottom