Rabbit breeder's thread!

Quote:
what shape would be better for the opening? I put extra cardboard that is a single piece about half an inch thick under the nest box. I too thought some extra insulation would be good. the bunnies are in solid bottom cages right now while the bunny house is being built. I was thinking of making some nestboxes for the summer with a top that covers the back third. that way mom could sit on top. I like the idea of a vent in the back.

We use two kinds of nest boxes. An open topper wooden box with a solid bottom and a u-shaped opening and an under-cage model similar to a burrow. The undercage ones are solid wire and attach to a specially cut hole in the floor of the cage. We simply place a cardboard liner over the floor of the box and give them a bit of straw and they do the rest. If the doe has pulled enough hair it will not matter how cold it is unless the box gets wet. Rabbits are extremely cold tolerant animals and they nest accordingly.

I like the U-shaped openings best. They are very easy for the doe to climb in and out of.

Quote:
so far the box is dry. the kits are 2.5 weeks. I am surprised it is dry. I'll keep an eye on it. the kits are crawling but all they want to do is get back into the depression at the back of the box. they are really, really cute now. I want to pick them up and hug them.
my parents are housebound and live across the street. when would it be safe to bring a kit for a short visit? I don't want to upset the mom. do they ever reject and kill a kit if you hold it for a while?

Quote:
what shape would be better for the opening? I put extra cardboard that is a single piece about half an inch thick under the nest box. I too thought some extra insulation would be good. the bunnies are in solid bottom cages right now while the bunny house is being built. I was thinking of making some nestboxes for the summer with a top that covers the back third. that way mom could sit on top. I like the idea of a vent in the back.

We use two kinds of nest boxes. An open topper wooden box with a solid bottom and a u-shaped opening and an under-cage model similar to a burrow. The undercage ones are solid wire and attach to a specially cut hole in the floor of the cage. We simply place a cardboard liner over the floor of the box and give them a bit of straw and they do the rest. If the doe has pulled enough hair it will not matter how cold it is unless the box gets wet. Rabbits are extremely cold tolerant animals and they nest accordingly.

I like the U-shaped openings best. They are very easy for the doe to climb in and out of.

I got the v shape idea from 2 different books I read. I am finding out that the info I get from you guys is way more valuable than the info in the books. one of the books did describe an all wire nest box with a cardboard bottom for the summer. it said that the biggest danger in the summer was from overheating. the under cage idea sounds great. do you have lg or sm breed rabbits?

We build our nest boxes too, we actually took the design from the metal nest boxes you can buy. I don't have a very good picture of it sitting the right way, unfortunately, but you can kind of get an idea from this:

IMG_2278.jpg

The wood slants upwards to make it taller and leave the opening end shorter for everyone to jump in and out of. This also works nice for when I don't want to take out the box just yet but I want the babies to come out:

IMG_2306.jpg

Our latest one is just an open-top box that's as short as the opening bit of the other one.. it works a lot nicer but can't stand up like the other one can!

Quote:
we built boxes that style for chickens and ducks

15886_my_chickens_801.jpg

15886_my_chickens_786.jpg

we bought a metal bunny nest box from tractor supply for a sample to work from. we made them smaller and larger. we had a couple rabbit breeders last year who ordered custom nestboxes from hubby. they told him what they wanted different.
the breeder I bought most of my rabbits from used a box with a lid. I liked it so much I wanted to give it a try. I have 3 girls in them and so far they are working. I am going to need more so improvments are always welcome.

got new babies to share pics of with ya all. one of my mini rex does had 6 kits yesterday!!
wee.gif

there is 2 orange/black harlequins, 2 blacks, i think the other 2 r a red and a blue or lilac will know better once fur finishes comeing in.

0224111925a.jpg

0224111923a.jpg

i also bought a new pedigreed lionhead doe yesterday so she is a new baby also. hope u enjoy the pics.

0224111448a.jpg

0224111448.jpg

Back
Top Bottom