rabbit breeding question..... :)

Different breeds of one species will pretty much always breed with each other. It's when you start trying to hook up your pigeons with your rabbits that you'll start running into pickier mating habits.

I'm not against cross breeding to create a new breed, but that takes years of dedication and at least 25 cages. I know first hand that it can be difficult to find rabbits good homes. I have been breeding rabbits for 10 years. When I couldn't find a good home for a baby I kept it until 14 weeks and then put it in the freezer. Some people don't have the ability to do that with something that they raised. When your doe has 10 kits and you find say 4 good homes. Do you then sell the other 6 to any people who come around, regardless of what kind of home they can provide?

Also, if you are breeding rabbits for meat, any old breed will do. You already have a known destination for your rabbits. I have no problem with that.

Crossbreeds are not all the problem, many of the rabbits that end up dumped are purebreds, usually from a pet store. I don't like pet stores that sell rabbits the way that most do. Especially since most pet stores do not educate their buyers and most of the rabbits that end up in shelters come from pet stores because they were an impulse buy. I know of people who breed for 100 kits a week to sell to pet stores and I'm not happy about that but I can't change it either.

Most responsible breeders I know have a take back policy so that their rabbits do not end up in shelters. Most pet shops do not. The average person who breeds their pet bunnies "just to get a litter" does not have any such policy either.

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif

Yes, you can breed any different breed with in a species, because scientifically, they are the same. Just different colors, and stuff. Which is why all dogs can breed, etc.

There are some species that will breed together, and that almost always produces sterile offspring, such as a horseXdonkey. The species are close enough to breed, but not in the same species, so you get a sterile mule.

Ducks will breed with muscovies, and the same thing happens, as muscovies are a different species.

But I think the rabbits are the same species. Now, if you were mating domesticated rabbits, which came from europe, with wild American rabbits, I dont know about that.
old.gif

I am sure you probably diddnt want to know all that..... but once you get me started it is hard to stop.
lol.png

I say that as long as you have a plan for the leftover offspring... ie, DINNER... why not give it a try. It's the ones that end up in pet stores or shelters that irk me. But if that's not an issue.... well, learn about the dos and donts and see what you get
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom