rabbit breeding question..... :)

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey I have a question. Can you breed like those fancy angora rabbits with the regular ole rabbits you buy your kids for easter?

Just wonderin if you can breed different kinds of rabbits...

Yes, you can breed them. But no telling what you will get. And you have to make sure the boy isn't huge compared to the female. The babies would get way to big inside her. But that is basically common sense to not do that. Have the boy be a bit smaller. I know in some breeds (I won't say all, because I am no expert - and haven't researched every breed out there (if that is even possible...) the females are bigger then the males.

Yea I know not to have the boy be bigger, because this one time, I had a pygmy goat and an average sized goat, and I wanted to see what their baby would look like, but the baby ended up being still born.....

Breeding a pair of rabbits just for fun is not very responsible. I always tell people that if you want to breed rabbits, first get a pair of quality pedigreed purebreds of the type of rabbit you want. Second you have to realize that finding homes, even for purebred rabbits is not as easy as you might think. You can sell a few as pets and if your rabbits are really nice and produce show quality or brood quality kits then you can sell a few to breeders, but you often have a few unwanted kits left over, especially if you cross breed. Then you have to decide if you are going to keep all the extra kits or find an alternative market for them i.e. meat or animal food.

Some animal rights groups will tell you that all breeding of animals is bad because it creates an over population problem. The problem is not the breeders, it is the people who decide to breed their rabbits just for fun.

If you want to breed rabbits, do the right thing and first research your market then get some quality stock if your market will support an influx of new rabbits. Keep in mind that depending on the breed you can get more than 10 kits in one litter. That's 10+ homes to find. The dwarf breeds usually produce only 1 to 6 kits but a dwarf doe would be too small for an angora buck.

On the other hand, if you are just breeding for the purpose of eating what you produce, breed on.

Quote:
Oh, I don't have any rabbits, I was just wondering if two breeds of rabbits could breed together, kinda like two breeds of chickens can breed together.

You can breed any two breeds of rabbits together as long as they are close in size. Unless you are using them as show rabbits, the breed isn't important. A "mutt rabbit" tastes just as good as a show rabbit purebred. And kids love any rabbit for a pet.

I know a lot about this one thing. I am in the midst of a bunny population explosion right now. I am selling them as fast as I can.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a mixed breed rabbit problem, and to me a rabbit is a rabbit....
Also, that is how new breeds are created is by mixing things up.
What would I do without my Cochin Frizzles?

Back
Top Bottom