Rabbit cages

Sell them for less
lau.gif
droolin.gif

definatly be more "cost concious" seeing the prices of some of the cages and hutches is insanity, i know wood and labor for hutches is expensive, but some of the prices are nuts (but then again i also know what the retail markup on these things are and the manufacturors are selling many of these things quite well priced at wholesale...just not to the general public.

i think for wire cages, eas of cleaning is always what i want to see, for LARGE cages LARGE easy to acess doors so you can get into those back corners
for hutches, again ease of cleaning/acess is the biggest thing for me

Quote:
I plan to do only wire cages. I will be geared toward rabbit breeders and people that show. I do plan to have small house pet v\\cages but they will be almost the same as the ones for breeders but in different sizes.

my daughter has a small barn full of 4-H rabbits, New Zealands in particular. we have the cages sold at TSC, 24x24x18 for about $25. these are OK, but the rust too easy and the door is too small and exactly in the center of the front.

so I now have made one of my own cages, and I almost have it down. I would like:

heavier wire, galvanized after welding
large door off set to one side so I can put in a 2 lb feeder on one side
reinforce the edges of the door so the door stays flat and the rabbits can't work the corner up

what I would like to try:

vinyl coated bottom wire

I assemble my cages with hog rings, but I am going to try the j-clips on my next cage building day.

I would pay $35-40 for a cage with quality wire and a well made door if I could buy it locally. I would also like to be able to buy a pre-cut 24x24 floor for replacement rather than having to buy a whole roll of wire.

good luck
Jerry

Good wire is so expensive, I doubt that you can get the price down too low. I want good American made well galvanized wire.

I like a large door. The bigger the better. It makes it so much easier to get the rabbits in and out.

If you look at the wire dog crates that fold down flat, you could see how a rabbit cage could be made to fold down flat. I think that would reduce shipping costs.

Doors trimmed, please, and I like the doors larger than the doorway.

Thanks everyone.
So far this is what I have as a cage idea.
Sides: GAW 14 gauge 18" high for large breeds and 14" high for small breeds
Floor 12 gauge
Doors 13"x14" for large breeds and small breeds 12"x12" the wire bent down like the Carnahans doors.
I would like to try the folding style cages.
All cages will be made panel style.

I've used those dog cages for rabbits. they like the upper space to sit on things.

OK I want a lot. Maybe an open t0 for cleaning. I want something that the door opens the whole front so you can slide a nest box inside. OR a space for an attachable nestbox. That way you aren't taking up space that's short anyway. I like the collapsable idea too.

I would personally LOVE to see an expensive "shelf" for the bunnies to sit on to get up and off the wire....about halfway up the cage. Right now I use ceramic tiles and they love them (especially in the summer) but I think the shelf would give them some more cage space, and mothers a spot to get away from boisterous youngsters.

Back
Top Bottom