Rabbit eating Cat Food

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by UnttouchableRose, Jan 28, 2009.

1. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    My Angora has been staying at a friends house since our house fire Jan 1st. I brought him home last week and since then he's been trying do eat the cat's food. He the cats and the dog all have free roam of our temporary housing aka inlaw's house.

I'm sure the cat food isn't good for him but I'm curious that his diet might be missing something.

Any suggestions on how to cure this problem without removing the rabbit or the food?

2. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    well , i wouldnt give him any more cat or dog food. He probably likes it because it is hard. He likes it for his teeth. I try giving him some whole dry corn that you get from a feed store or a farmer. But not to much . It will make him fat. This might help:)

3. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Rabbits are not equiped to digest cat/dog food. Put the cat food up and give the bunny a block of untreated wood to chew on. If he has a crunch craving give him some cherrios.

4. UnttouchableRose

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    Quote:I don't give it to him, he keeps breaking into it. [​IMG] He has wood, alfalfa cubes, hay and treats to chew on but will do anything for the cat food. He also gets fresh papaya daily and occasionally an apple.

It's indoor cat food and I a wondering if something isn't drawing him to it? I'm keeping it put up but with four cats in this small place it's hard to not keep some out all the time.

5. UnttouchableRose

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    Quote:I know he's not equipped to digest it. [​IMG] He has treats available and wood to chew on but still goes to the cat food.

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I had tons of rabbits when I was a kid they were always lose in the yard,never caged they use to share food with the cats in the barn..They didnt seem to have any problem with the food...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    why not get an excersize pen to keep bunny in when you feed the cat and feed the cat twice daily?

8. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    idk what it is about cat food. i must research this. Obviously cats like it but only certain kinds. Dogs love it, my ferrets love it, raccoons love it, chickens like to peck at it and now ur rabbit is eating it. theres something special in that food. But yes there is much lacking in cat food as cats are carnivores and and ur bunny should be a herbivore. Though u already know this but its not good for ur bunny cause cat food usually has taurine added to it and bunnies really dont need this as an essential amino acid. anyways i would put a bowl of kitty food out, make sure kitty can't get to it if possible, and add hot sauce. Most bird lovers will add peppers to their bird seed to ward off squirels from eating the seed as hot stuff does not effect birds but rodents. So maybe with a bad taste in his mouth he will figure kitty food = bad taste. Idk its worth a try. but yes kitty food seems to attract everyone.

[​IMG]

9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    idk what it is about cat food

Don't forget the fish love it too! We use it for chum at the dock it is great to see so many fish!​

10. SilverM0on

SilverM0on Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Oregon
    id love to help but i got the same problem
    my dog like the cat food better then his own... and fish food every time he can snatch the container
    and the cats like to eat the dog food T_T
    i try to feed em in separate area but every time i turn my back they run to eat in the bowl of the other.....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by