Rabbit hay alternative?

Is your husband allergic to ALL hay? I have heard that orchard grass is a lot more allergy-friendly...and it is great for rabbits!

Not sure...he believes it is the dust/mites that are the issue. He hasn't been around hay in a good while so I am not sure if some types he would handle better than others. We would have to be around it to see.

Another pet option, though not fuzzy, are hedgehogs. I've loved all of mine, each has a unique personality. No hay, but like all animal they have their requirements. You do need to scent bond, but they aren't very bitey at all.

This was another option I was considering. They are super expensive here for the hedgehog alone. I do enjoy them, though. My grandfather used to have a few of them.

Koi have personality, live outside, don't require water changes like indoor fish. Also pretty.

They are pretty. Keeping a good pond sounds like high maintenance in the desert. There used to be a house on my parents street that had a large water fountain and in the deep, bottom that caught the water had koi. They didn't have it long, though.

They are pretty. Keeping a good pond sounds like high maintenance in the desert. There used to be a house on my parents street that had a large water fountain and in the deep, bottom that caught the water had koi. They didn't have it long, though.
Koi require weekly water changes, large ponds, and heavy duty multi stage filtration that can move hundreds or thousands of gallons an hour. I love mine, but they are far from low maintenance. My betta are easier, lol.

This was another option I was considering. They are super expensive here for the hedgehog alone. I do enjoy them, though. My grandfather used to have a few of them.
Not sure how much they are there, they are more than rabbits for sure though! I've had several nice ones that were only 100-150. I know right now that seems like a lot though.

Rabbits absolutely have to have hay. It makes up a large percentage of their diet, and is crucial to proper digestive health as well as their teeth. As far as I know, there isn't anything else that keeps their teeth healthy.

Edit: I forgot to add that all pet rabbits should be spayed or neutered. This can be an expensive surgery, but a million times worth it as far as changing their behavior for the better and reducing the likelihood of health issues down the road.

The only other animals that fit what you're seeking and that I have personal experience with are hamsters and rats. I've had Syrian hamsters and one dwarf. The dwarf was very nippy and too small to really be cuddly, so I'll focus on the Syrian hams.

Rats are by far more intelligent and friendly with people. Don't let pet stores fool you with different names - fancy rats and dumbo rats are both the same species. There are some big differences between the genders, too. Males are less energetic and cuddlier with people, but they can sometimes develop aggression issues with other males, which requires neutering. Not all vets can or will perform this surgery. However, you can't keep a single male in hopes of preventing this, as rats are so social that they often turn to self-harming behavior when kept alone. Males smell a little worse and will pee a little on whatever they walk on to mark territory. Females are cleaner and get along better with each other, but they're typically not as cuddly with people and many females will develop tumors in their lifetime. I've had around fifteen rats over the years, both genders, and I vastly prefer females. A friend of mine does rat rescue and has had hundreds of rats, and she prefers males by a long shot. Rats live anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 years. They're less healthy than hamsters, as they're very prone to getting respiratory issues (and the cancer in females). Rats require larger cages than hamsters. Google the "Critter Nation" cage - it's the best cage for rats, and a single unit of that is a good size for just a couple of rats. Rats are less likely than hamsters to bite you, but they are larger and have larger teeth, so a serious bite from a rat could be more dangerous than a hamster bite.

Syrian hamsters are less expensive and easier to care for, but they are less people-friendly and more unpredictable. Many hamsters go their whole lives without illness, and they live from about 2 to 4 years. They absolutely have to live alone, regardless of gender pairing. They will kill one another. I do think dwarf hamsters can be kept together if raised together, but I'm not positive. Syrian hamsters need a minimum of a 20-gallon aquarium. Hamsters shouldn't live in wire cages, as they tend to chew on the bars, and this can cause neurological damage long-term. Personally, I have had five female Syrian hamsters and one male. The male was very aggressive, even though I got him at a young age and tried to tame him. He would bite terribly. None of the females were ever truly aggressive. Even the cuddliest hamster is still not as people-friendly as the average rat, though. I think that rats have more stable temperaments whereas hamsters can go from sitting perfectly fine in your hand to nipping and running away the next second.

I like both personally, so I couldn't choose a favorite.

Last edited:
Rabbits absolutely have to have hay. It makes up a large percentage of their diet, and is crucial to proper digestive health as well as their teeth. As far as I know, there isn't anything else that keeps their teeth healthy.

For the teeth: wood can work, too. Not just for chewing on, but also to actually eat. Chewed up wood isn't too far different from chewed up grass, when it comes to herbivores digesting it. Wild rabbits definitely eat wood too--that's why people who grow fruit trees worry about protecting them from rabbits.

I agree that hay is good for rabbits, but I think pellets plus a selection of other suitable plant matter--maybe small sticks cut from some kinds of trees--could be fine. (I am assuming that sticks cut from trees would not trigger the same human allergies as hay, regardless of whether the allergies are to the hay itself or to mites in the hay.)

I was curious if there was a hay alternative for rabbits. I have heard some hay requiring small pets use hay to keep their teeth filed down so to speak. I wondered if this was the case for the rabbit and if there are hay alternatives. Been thinking about a smaller family pet (puppies didn't work out), but my husband has hay allergies. It may be a no go, but I figured I would ask.
Rats are wonderful pets! Look at YouTube for the tricks they can be taught. They are affectionate and curious and funny. I have rabbits now and have raised rats and I prefer the rats for their quirky personalities. Drawback is their short life span. Dumbo rats are extra cute!
One thing...there are different kinds of hay. I have alfalfa and timothy right now. Also, rabbits can and do chew on branches...both to eat the bark and leaves and to wear down their teeth.

Back
Top Bottom