Rabbit help!

Chicken_newbe

Chirping
Jan 30, 2018
I was gifted two mini Rex for my birthday. The breeder said one of them had a small rip on her lady parts. She has some leaking, what can I do? Anything I can out on it to keep from getting infected? Can I clean her up? How would I do this? It's very dirty and stinky. Afraid she will get sick.
IMG_6673.JPG

I've had bunnies before never had this problem

No problem, i had to do the same for my checkered giant x flemish giant cross buck when he had a fit, he got mad and kicked out, ended up hitting his back knee on the side of his hutch and popped that callous off, took him, gave him a bath, let him dry,towel/air dry, and then put neoisporin on it, and put him right back out, he has been doing perfectly now. His first sire-ing (?) went amazing, had a litter of 5, all made it, and are being sold on the 13th of this month. Plan to get another hutch and doe up on the porch and move him down into a fenced in area to clear up some space and get a little bit of money saved up for my next FFA project...

I am so not an expert here, but I'm not sure it's good for rex fur to bath. I seem to think I've been told that it will matt terribly. I would spot clean instead.

I am so not an expert here, but I'm not sure it's good for rex fur to bath. I seem to think I've been told that it will matt terribly. I would spot clean instead.
Bathing her didn't seem to help much. The hair is a little matted (before I washed her) around her girl area. And it's super stained but it smells bad too. I'm not sure what to do now

Bathing rabbits is never a good go. It's very stressful on them. I get little pads and dip in warm water for cleaning. You'll need to clean the scent glands and if oozing or fur getting yucky, then it's possible the rabbit has a UTI. Batril will clear that up.

Go to the feed store and see if you can get some packets of terramycin(sp). I mean the kind that you put in the water for poultry. Try dusting that on a couple times a day. Some peroxide won't hurt either. Something else you can try is gentian violet. It is effective on both bacteria and fungi. The trouble is that it is a dye.

Back
Top Bottom