Rabbit Hutch Coop

Hello all!
I’m brand new to chickens and I am getting my first flock this spring. I was thinking of converting an old rabbit hutch into a new chicken coop. However I am trying to think what would be the best configuration. I would definitely make it all enclosed for warmth in the winter. However I am debating whether make the roosting part on top or the nesting boxes up top. I already have a system devised for a cleaning, using a false floor with a slanted metal piece underneath to a small door in the back. I can add onto the rabbit hutch however I am trying to be a frugal.
I did this with my small flock when I still just had the 4. I put the nesting boxes up top, and then left the bottom open for the ducks to get in when it's cold without having to climb! Probably wouldn't hurt to put them on top and bottom if it's just for chickens though. Mine now lay on top and bottom and it makes me wish I had converted the bottom as well! Make sure you find a way to lock the doors better! I found out the hard way that raccoons can get rabbit hutch locks undone like it's nobody's business

They'll want to roost as high up as possible. If your nest boxes are the high spot, they'll roost there and you'll be cleaning poop out of the nest boxes and not off your poop tray.

Back
Top Bottom