Rabbit pellets for chickens and quail?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wolftracks, Jan 26, 2012.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    My birds like to find the dropped pellets that the rabbits scatter under their cages. Since the pellet are so hard and compact, I was wondering. I'm sure they would expand some, so would it be alright to soak them for the birds? I'm kind of hoping so, since it's so cheap and I can buy extra for them. Also if there are any quail people, can I also do this for them?

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I believe alot of people stay away from the rabbits pellets. They contain salt which the chickens can get to much of. I would think the same for the quail.

3. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I give rabbit pellets to our ducks from time to time, like when there are leftover stale pellets in the feeder. I definitely wouldn't make it the primary feed, though - just an occasional treat.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Well with the birds getting anything the rabbit drop, they're eating them anyway. I'm going to crumble some and mix with fish meal and see if they like them. They get 30% Gamebird crumbles, so I don't think it would take away from anything. I know a lot of people use the cubes and soak them. I do worry about too much salt, but its not going to be a daily thing, just maybe a couple of times a week in small amounts.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Many people use alfalfa cubes and pellets, but they are pure alfalfa, not the rabbit food pellets.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've given the cubes soak in water before. They really like them.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't think the rabbit pellets in small amounts will hurt the chickens. However the pellets are very high in fiber and they can give the chickens the runs! They did on my girls.

8. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I have a rabbit that lives in a hutch inside the chicken run. She mingles with the girls during the day. The rabbit does't let the hens into her hutch, but once in awhile one sneaks up and eats the food. It's no big deal. My rabbit also gets into the chicken food. I feed high quality, vegetarian pellets, so again, no big deal. The important thing is that both species get most of their diet from their own feed. Also, both have access to greens. That way, they don't overeat on the food that's not designed for them. You can see the rabbit and hens on my livestreaming cam on my website.
    www.HenCam.com

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    See with them already eating them I figured I'd soften some up. Not like I was going to use it as part of their, just an occassional snack. Heck I need that stuff for my rabbits. LOL I just thought that since they are so hard in comparison to the layer pellets and some will pick them up and give up, that I'd soak some for them. They don't get many treats. I have them free ranging and eating pellets, 30% Game crumbles and some scratch. I could see the problem if someone used them as a feed source. They must be good for something though, cause my FBCMs love the ones the rabbits drop and I got a HUGE first egg of the season from one of my girls. Never gotten one this size before and the hen is almost 6.

10. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Almost six? Was she just getting all her egg laying for the year out of the way at once? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by