rabbit purposes other than meat or fibre?

do you all feed timothy hay or just pellets?
if you feed just pellets what do you do to keep their teeth down?
For an adult rabbit their diet should consist of unlimited Timothy hay, ¼ cup of pellets, and about a handful of fresh spring mix veggies for breakfast and dinner.
Hay will help to keep their teeth down but toys are very important as well. They love willow and apple wood sticks. You could also make DIY toys from cardboard, toilet paper tubes, and twine.
Toys also help to keep them entertained. Bunnies are quite smart and need lots of enrichment.

Poop and pets.
As people have already mentioned, rabbit poop is great for gardens especially since you don't have to compost.
If you litter train them you can throw all the litter and everything in the garden.

If you setup an enclosed pen for them they'll eat grass and weeds outside. And pinecones make great toys.

Rabbits make great pets for people willing to provide them with a proper enclosure with plenty of space and lots of time to bond with them.
A lot of people litter train their rabbits and let them free roam around their house or in a room.
If you let bunnies run around a room, make sure there are no electrical cords they can reach. They will only bite into one once.

Hey all!
I’m interested in hearing what other purposes there are for rabbits on your farm/in your backyard? I currently have ducks but would like to expand my small “hobby farm” to include another animal. However, I do like my animals to serve a purpose, if that makes sense!

I’m not one for wanting to eat my animals (personal preference!) and I’m not interested in collecting fibre, so just curious if anyone does anything else with their buns.

Will they eat grass clippings? is that safe?
I know their droppings can be used in the garden, I have heard that before.
Will they “clean up” areas of the lawn with lots of weeds or small pine cones? again, is this safe for them?

Or if not for meat or fibre are they just pets and fun to have?

thanks!!
(side note: I do not currently own rabbits nor have I in the past, I appreciate any input from you experienced folk!)
In my experience rabbits are fantastic at eating grass and weeds as well as making compost. Picture below is one of mine being used as a lawn mower (this is not her permanent residence, she does have a proper bed hutch etc) this is a small moveable run that I can put on fresh grass, cutting down the grass and giving her fresh free food. They're quite nice animals, quiet, don't smell if kept correctly. In terms of health, I keep an eye on their nails and teeth to make sure they're not getting too long and in the summer I give preventive treatment for fly strike IMG20210507122708.jpg

In my experience rabbits are fantastic at eating grass and weeds as well as making compost. Picture below is one of mine being used as a lawn mower (this is not her permanent residence, she does have a proper bed hutch etc) this is a small moveable run that I can put on fresh grass, cutting down the grass and giving her fresh free food. They're quite nice animals, quiet, don't smell if kept correctly. In terms of health, I keep an eye on their nails and teeth to make sure they're not getting too long and in the summer I give preventive treatment for fly strike View attachment 2655070
What kind of preventative is that? Are rabbits prone to flystrike? : O

What kind of preventative is that? Are rabbits prone to flystrike? : O
It's a pretty easy to use little spray that you spray on their bums in summer. I think rabbits are relatively prone to it although I've never actually had a case of it. It's one of those things that's alot cheaper to prevent than treat! Good. Husbandry is also key, flystike is where flies lay larva around their bums and they burrow into the skin, if not treated it can fester and the rabbit can die. Good husbandry reduces fly's in the first place through cleanliness and then the spray helps too repelle them

I think there’s a big difference between indoor pet rabbits and outdoor pet rabbits. Their needs would vary greatly depending on where you house them, what food they have access to, climate, etc. Rabbits cannot throw up so it’s important that they have hay/roughage to keep their gut healthy and prevent stasis. We have an indoor rabbit. And she actually helps our little hobby farm tremendously. We use pelleted hardwood in her litter box. That way when it’s time to clean it, we just dump it in our garden (all year round). We use it on our orchard trees, berry gardens, and vegetable gardens. It’s fantastic. We do let her out in a tractor run to forage when the weather is nice. She loves dandelions and certain weeds. Just all depends on what your ultimate goal is as to whether rabbits would be good fit. I’d be happy to answer questions if you have any.

That's pretty cool, do you have to spray often? I've thankfully never had flystrike and I'd LOVE to keep that track record haha
I spray it monthly. If they're long haired as well it's a good idea to keep the hair around their bum trimed up too. As soon as it gets to cold for fly's you can stop spraying

All of my rabbit’s purpose is to just be my little fur babies. They bring me so much joy. I am planning though to start a Rabbitry (not for meat, but for pet). And sell each baby with a care package and possibly a pedigree depending on if the new owner requests for one. So that’s another purpose for rabbits is to start a Rabbitry for breeding for pet, show, or for brood!

Back
Top Bottom