Rabbit question(yes another one)

Quote:
When I say outside I meant not in the house. They are in a shed. Its not insulated but its well ventilated and stays quite warm(water doesn't freeze in there, I think the critters body heat helps keep the interior warm.

In the summer my plan is to leave the cages right where they are with numerous tractors for the bunnies to be moved around in shaded area to allow them to exercise and eat the grass and weeds.

I am much more concerned about the heat next summer than the cool in the winter. Last summer was mild and not very hot but if this summer is a hot one I don't think I want to be housing 10 rabbits(plus any kits they may have) in the central air(house).

What temp is too high, I wonder?

Quote:
Heat in Ontario??
lau.gif
You have to be kidding me! I'm sure they will be fine. In all seriousness, it is the extreme temperature fluctuations (like we get here in FL) that can cause problems. It's "cold" one minute, then 85 the next. Gradual temperature variations is not going to hurt them. See, being in FL, I would be concerned about the cold....hahaha! They do have fur coats though, and if protected from the elements, which they are, they are good as gold. We get temperatures upwards of 90 degrees regularly in the summer, and I do have use fans and a portable air conditioner to keep them cool enough, but that is also here where the humidity plays a huge role.

Take care!

Kristen

Quote:
Heat in Ontario??
lau.gif
You have to be kidding me! I'm sure they will be fine. In all seriousness, it is the extreme temperature fluctuations (like we get here in FL) that can cause problems. It's "cold" one minute, then 85 the next. Gradual temperature variations is not going to hurt them. See, being in FL, I would be concerned about the cold....hahaha! They do have fur coats though, and if protected from the elements, which they are, they are good as gold. We get temperatures upwards of 90 degrees regularly in the summer, and I do have use fans and a portable air conditioner to keep them cool enough, but that is also here where the humidity plays a huge role.

Take care!

Kristen

Well, I live about 20 minutes away from Tara, so when I read your laughing, it tells me you do not know what Ontario temps can be like in the summer. Our summers are usually in the 80 and 90s, with humidity to boot. I keep frozen pop bottles in with my bunns in the summer b/c they can overheat very easily. Our winters get below freezing. Tell me, out of curiosity--what do you think our summers are like?

Your talking summer right?
smile.png
My cali buck and doe seems to tolerate the heat better than the other two does. ( the two that are part flemish, sorry!) I put them in when they start panting. The temperature is variable, b/c sometimes the humidity makes them uncomfortable--I think usually around 85-90 degrees.How hot it is depends on how fast they melt, and usually one or two during the hot part of the afternoon.is enough. Once it cools off a bit, they are fine for the night. I keep around 5 bottles in the freezer during the summer.

Now, for winter.... I use the water bottles with the valves in the summer (you've seen them right?). When it starts freezing, I switch them out for ceramic crocks. I carry out a hot bucket of water, dump the crocks in there to thaw while I do the rest of my chores, then fish out the crocks, put them back in the cage, and fill them up. They will drink as soon as you put the water in there. I stand around and wait for them to drink up, top them up again and then leave. It usually takes a coupla hours for them to freeze, but I have found that they are fine until evening again. I only water them twice a day. At first I refilled them three times a day, but found that they weren't drinking when I came in the afternoon.

Miss_the north, do you have to hook up your rotti and your wirehaired pointing griffon to the dog sled to take care of them during the winter
wink.png

I figured with snow cubes they would be comfortable during the summer. If not could I borrow your snow shoes? Mine have been unservicable the last few years and I don't want to buy new ones( with the price of heating igloos and all)
smile.png

Quote:
Heat in Ontario??
lau.gif

Take care!

Kristen

I'm sorry!!!! I have family in Gainesville florid, but its a running joke about the way they see our weather in Canada.

Quote:
Heat in Ontario??
lau.gif

Take care!

Kristen

I'm sorry!!!! I have family in Gainesville florid, but its a running joke about the way they see our weather in Canada.

Wow, point taken...didn't mean to offend. It was really just a joke (hence the "in all seriousness" phrase), since I would never think Canada summers to be anywhere near as horrid and dreadful as Florida's. I honestly can't stand it here in the summer...being in lakes and pools doesn't even cool you off. I've been to Alberta a few times in the fall, and I was actually in Toronto this past August...maybe we just caught good weather when we were there this summer....??? It was perfect weather, at least to me. But I'm sure you are in a completely different area of Ontario...I do know it's a big place.
idunno.gif

Kristen

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif
I actually LOLed at that one! Sure! You can borrow our snowshoes, I have some for the kids but they like sinking knee deep n the snow with every step--I'm sure you can borrow theirs!! And Rocky has pulled a sled before!!

Trina--no biggie!! We're just having fun too. We are about 4 hours west of Toronto, and we did have an unusually cool summer. I only had my air conditioning on for maybe a week all summer. We've had summers where it came on in June, and off in september. Winters on the other hand are cold and damp. The sheep and horses waters had a layer of ice on them this morning.

And again Tara, thanks for the laugh. I have to clean coffee off my keyboard right now due to the spewing!
gig.gif

Miss the north glad I could make you laugh!

Trina it was all in fun I didn't mean to offend you at all, hope it came off as it was suppose to (a joke) and not offensively!

Back
Top Bottom