Rabbit question(yes another one)

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Our rabbits live outside in hutches, so I am sure they beautiful warm coats to keep them warm. My kids like to rotate which ones they bring in the house on a daily a basis to socialize and play with. We keep our house temp around 65, how long do you think a rabbit could comfortably be inside for?

I like that they get handled frequently as first and foremost these are pets and frankly it is just getting to cold outside to spend to much time handling them out there. But I don't want them to needlessly suffer.

They will be fine with that temperature, just watch out as they can chew electric cords or get into other mischief, baby proof the house..... Have fun with those bunnies....We keep ours outside and I occasionally sneak one in the house to play with, especially if it's a new bunny or rabbit and I'm trying to get him/her used to me.

I'm just an overgrown child....
smile.png
but I do so love all our critters.....

Have a blessed day.

Do you think they'll be okay for extended periods? (I say all my critters are for my kids but I think DH and I enjoy them more than the kids). I was thinking in an ideal world When I went out in the morning to do chores and feed and clean everybody I would bring one in for the day(caged when not supervised). In the morning return that one and bring another one in for the day? Or do you think that would be too long a period with their winter coats?

You know--I wondered about this too. Considering our nights are getting to freezing nowadays. Last year I was concerned about the dogs, who are usually outside dogs, but coming in b/c it was so cold last winter, and then having to go out again. They were fine. I think with the rabbits, as well as the dogs, have already grown nice thick fur, they will be fine when they are outside, but maybe a little warm when they are inside. We keep our house 65 too and so far the bunns are doing fine.

65 degrees is fine. No problem.

Outdoors, they can take the cold, but not wet or constant wind. Keep them under some kind of shelter to protect them from those things or make sure the cages offer that kind of protection.

They will be fine, We do this often also.
Only time there will be a problem is if they are inside for a few weeks, and the coat blows out.
Then you will h ave to wait for spring to put them back outsie.

ps: we have cassi's favorite rabbit in the house 24/7, she is the queen of Dwarfs lol.

Last year, I moved our hutches into our attached garage when it got below 20F. The garage is always above 20F, even when it is -10F outside.

I would like to hear about how others handle this. I think the county folk generally have bigger shelters to use. The worse bunny situations I have seen have been in backyards: a hutch in the middle of a yard, no windbreak or tarp...terrible.

This year, my hutches are in my barn.

I was less worried about the cold and more worried about the heat in the house making them uncomfortable! I'm glad this shouldn't be a problem it will make it easier to get the new additions friendly.

Back
Top Bottom