rabbit question

fowlman33

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
don't know a thing about raising rabbits, breeds of rabbits, nothing....but what I want is some "meat" rabbits, as close to the wild cottontail as I can get (taste wise).....any suggestions ???

I have no idea if there's a difference in taste between rabbits but I like argentes so far. I have both champagne and creme d'argent. They also make interesting pelts. They can be a bit harder to find and more expensive though but you can sell extra kits for a good price. The person I got my champagnes from much preferred them over new zealands. If you want something smaller Dutch are apparently good small meat rabbits.

Quote:
I don't have any idea because I think domestic tastes very different than wild. Maybe old, free roamed domestics might get close to the texture.
hu.gif

Quote:
I don't have any idea because I think domestic tastes very different than wild. Maybe old, free roamed domestics might get close to the texture.
hu.gif

that's what I was afraid of......thanks for all the input

I have heard that raised rabbits taste different than wild rabbits.I would go by the size to the most meat.

Quote:
hu.gif

that's what I was afraid of......thanks for all the input

You sound disappointed. Have you tried domestic rabbit? Everyone that I know that likes wild loves domestic. It's mild, sweet, and more tender.

Quote:
This is impossible. Domestic rabbits are a totally different species from the North American wild rabbits; they cannot interbreed. San Juans and Missouri Cottontails are 100% Oryctolagus cuniculus, the European rabbit that has been domesticated.

Back
Top Bottom