rabbit question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fowlman33, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 In the Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    don't know a thing about raising rabbits, breeds of rabbits, nothing....but what I want is some "meat" rabbits, as close to the wild cottontail as I can get (taste wise).....any suggestions ???

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    New Zealand and Californian.

3. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    I have no idea if there's a difference in taste between rabbits but I like argentes so far. I have both champagne and creme d'argent. They also make interesting pelts. They can be a bit harder to find and more expensive though but you can sell extra kits for a good price. The person I got my champagnes from much preferred them over new zealands. If you want something smaller Dutch are apparently good small meat rabbits.

4. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:I don't have any idea because I think domestic tastes very different than wild. Maybe old, free roamed domestics might get close to the texture. [​IMG]

5. fowlman33

fowlman33 In the Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Quote:I don't have any idea because I think domestic tastes very different than wild. Maybe old, free roamed domestics might get close to the texture. [​IMG]

that's what I was afraid of......thanks for all the input

6. ShowMeGirl

ShowMeGirl In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    I have heard that raised rabbits taste different than wild rabbits.I would go by the size to the most meat.

7. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity

that's what I was afraid of......thanks for all the input

You sound disappointed. Have you tried domestic rabbit? Everyone that I know that likes wild loves domestic. It's mild, sweet, and more tender.

8. d1

d1 Songster

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    San jauns are part wild part domesticated slight wild taste just not quit as big as the domesticated

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote:This is impossible. Domestic rabbits are a totally different species from the North American wild rabbits; they cannot interbreed. San Juans and Missouri Cottontails are 100% Oryctolagus cuniculus, the European rabbit that has been domesticated.

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Doesn't the gamey taste come from free foraging? Not breed? I have no idea - just asking?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: