Rabbit questions?

In my experience with my friend's rabbits and also from my own research, caged rabbits are very aggressive and not as good pets. From multiple different friends with rabbits, the ones with caged rabbits have very aggressive rabbits, and the ones with indoor rabbits usually kept in a playpen with some free roaming time are very sweet and much happier and cleaner. A good rabbit care channel already recommended by @EverythingDucks is Lennon the Bunny. Really good informational videos about rabbit bonding, litterbox training, rabbitproofing, etc.

If they are pets, then I would not get them. Pet rabbits should really be inside with a playpen, not outside in a hutch.
And if you do keep them as pets I would definitely get them spayed if they aren't already.

If they weren't bred or raised as pets I wouldn't get them.

Kids usually aren't the best with rabbits. A rabbit could bite or scratch them and a child could easily hurt or even kill them, even on accident. If you do want to get them. But, if you teach your kids to be respectful and gentle they can get along fine. They'll have to know that they aren't toys and they shouldn't be picked up, grabbed, or played with like a dog. I would always supervise them together. Then I wouldn't worry about biting or scratching.
Providing them with plenty of toys will help.

If you're considering it more I would watch Lennon The Bunny's videos on YouTube.

Her rabbits as far as I am aware were used for breeding. She raised the kits for her own meat source. I could be wrong, but I did know that she did raise some of her own rabbits for meat so I'm thinking since they are does that they were probably used for such. I'll hopefully find out more about them from my husband if she gives anymore text details or if we're going to go see them and ask.

The main thing I worry about with a pet is if it will bite. It's not something I want to happen. I remember seeing defensive hamster bites as a kid and how much worse would a rabbits teeth be...yikes.

Thanks for the tips =)

Unspayed rabbits are prone to uterine issues as they age. If you get them and want to avoid large vet bills and very sick rabbits then get them fixed. That being said my mother had an unspayed female that lived about 6-8 yrs before it ended up with suspected uterine cancer and died. If possible bring your children to see the rabbits and see how the rabbits behave with them. Might help in the decision process.

We plan on a meet and greet and hopefully get some questions answered, too, before we proceed with anything. I've definitely heard of uterine issues being a main reason a lot of people spay them. I would have to find out the rabbits age, too, if they are able to be spayed. I can only find one clinic in the surrounding area that spays rabbits, but I've heard places won't always do it if they are 5 or older as the risks are higher.

In my experience with my friend's rabbits and also from my own research, caged rabbits are very aggressive and not as good pets. From multiple different friends with rabbits, the ones with caged rabbits have very aggressive rabbits, and the ones with indoor rabbits usually kept in a playpen with some free roaming time are very sweet and much happier and cleaner. A good rabbit care channel already recommended by @EverythingDucks is Lennon the Bunny. Really good informational videos about rabbit bonding, litterbox training, rabbitproofing, etc.

Thanks for letting me know. I have a hard time thinking this friend would offer us rabbits that were aggressive when they know we have children, but you never know. I am pretty sure they have their own outdoor hutch.

I think I came across Lennon the Bunny when I was looking stuff up last night, but I'm probably going to look into it since you and EverythingDucks recommended it.

Thanks for letting me know. I have a hard time thinking this friend would offer us rabbits that were aggressive when they know we have children, but you never know. I am pretty sure they have their own outdoor hutch.

I think I came across Lennon the Bunny when I was looking stuff up last night, but I'm probably going to look into it since you and EverythingDucks recommended it.
I enjoy her videos even though I don't have a rabbit and can't get one anytime soon. She does push free roaming your rabbit really hard (basically bunny proofing your whole house and then letting the rabbit roam free over the whole thing) but I think that from my watching loads of rabbit videos and doing loads of research and looking at my friends's rabbits, the best situation is this:
rabbit setup.jpg

key components are space, litterbox (do not buy a corner litterbox!) with lots of hay, hidey house, and non slip flooring on parts. You could make it even smaller probably. Happy rabbits and happy humans. Definitely take others' advice over my own, but I like to try to help out.

If you have a large house, especially with kids and other pets, you dont have to let a rabbit free roam the whole house. It would be impossible to do that with kids and pets.
Instead, using baby gates, xpen door, ect. can keep the rabbit to one area and kids and pets to the other.
Weather they're kept in a playpen or not they'll need at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day. Most people do 2 hours in the morning, and 2 in the evenings since rabbits at3 crepuscular (most active during early mornings and late evenings).

If you do end up getting them I would spend lots of time bonding with them. Eventually they'll become more friendly.
Getting spayed will help.
If you keep them in a playpen or free roamed they'll become much more happy and less likely to bite.

I would start with a playpen since they're likely not litter trained. They'll learn easily especially if they get spayed, but keeping them in a playpen for a while until they're fully litter trained will help with any mess.

I enjoy her videos even though I don't have a rabbit and can't get one anytime soon. She does push free roaming your rabbit really hard (basically bunny proofing your whole house and then letting the rabbit roam free over the whole thing) but I think that from my watching loads of rabbit videos and doing loads of research and looking at my friends's rabbits, the best situation is this:
View attachment 2328485
key components are space, litterbox (do not buy a corner litterbox!) with lots of hay, hidey house, and non slip flooring on parts. You could make it even smaller probably. Happy rabbits and happy humans. Definitely take others' advice over my own, but I like to try to help out.

Thanks for the advice!

Haha, I saw that thing on the corner litterboxes...it doesn't even make since considering a lot of bunnies are the size of a small cat, which get much bigger litter boxes than a corner box. A cat box makes more sense - more room.

If you have a large house, especially with kids and other pets, you dont have to let a rabbit free roam the whole house. It would be impossible to do that with kids and pets.
Instead, using baby gates, xpen door, ect. can keep the rabbit to one area and kids and pets to the other.
Weather they're kept in a playpen or not they'll need at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day. Most people do 2 hours in the morning, and 2 in the evenings since rabbits at3 crepuscular (most active during early mornings and late evenings).

I love the play pen set ups, but it's not doable for indoors. Space is an issue right now and we're working on getting a bigger place, but it hasn't happened yet. My husband also tends to be allergic to dust and mites that can be found in hay. He knows not all hay bothers him, but it would be trial and error to find out and he's well aware they need hay.

I love the bunny free roaming ideas, but definitely not for us. I think the kids would be too rough or forget the bunny is running around. I totally want to have a safe, fenced space where they have plenty of leg room.

I got word today that they are litter trained, but she said she's concerned that they forgot because her ex just kind of moved them outside without their usual set up and he hasn't been caring for them as well as she does (she mentioned that she socializes with them each day and everything).

I'll find out their ages to keep an eye on the spay thing.

I love the play pen set ups, but it's not doable for indoors. Space is an issue right now and we're working on getting a bigger place, but it hasn't happened yet. My husband also tends to be allergic to dust and mites that can be found in hay. He knows not all hay bothers him, but it would be trial and error to find out and he's well aware they need hay.

I love the bunny free roaming ideas, but definitely not for us. I think the kids would be too rough or forget the bunny is running around. I totally want to have a safe, fenced space where they have plenty of leg room.

I got word today that they are litter trained, but she said she's concerned that they forgot because her ex just kind of moved them outside without their usual set up and he hasn't been caring for them as well as she does (she mentioned that she socializes with them each day and everything).

I'll find out their ages to keep an eye on the spay thing.
I'm severely allergic to Timothy hay. Its dusty too. Orchard grass works best. I don't have any issues with it, and cleaning up regularly will help. Plus lots of air purifiers.

Y'all looking to move? If so, I would wait until you find a place if you think it'll happen soon.
I would go meet the rabbits, and if you really want to get them go for it. You could keep them in the hutches for a while as long as they get time out of the hutch, just temporarily until you can get a better set up.

You could be helping rabbits that would otherwise stay in a hutch the rest of their lives. If you don't think it'll work out though I would wait to get rabbits until you're ready.

Go meet them though, and see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom