Rabbit Thread

Pics

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Thought I'd start a rabbit thread where we can post about our rabbits, post great info for new rabbit owners, etc.
Only 2 rules for this thread: Be nice! & Don't make this thread into a 'Spay/Neuter your rabbits!! You're a terrible owner for not doing so!!!' thread because people have different views on things.

I currently own a 5 month old intact female named Butterscotch. She's a Mini Rex/Lop mix and I had gotten her in June from a nice lady. Despite being at the age for her behavior to change due to hormones, she's actually pretty calm.
Butterscotch 01.jpg
Butterscotch 02.jpg

She use to have a friend, my Dwarf/Lionhead male, but he had passed away from a heart attack. He had only been 7-8 months old. They got along fine.

If your profile doesn't show where you are(Country and/or State), please tell us so we may know in case you need help from someone who may live in the same area.

Oh she's adorable! I love her markings!

I have 2 rabbits of my own as pets, and I really love them. This rabbit thread idea is awesome! I can put up pictures later as I don't have any on this computer. I have a 10 yo Lionhead called Lion (I was like, 10 when I got him so excuse the basic name :p) and a 4 yo Harlequin named Pumpkin.

Personally, as a rabbit breeder, I encourage people with pet does to get them fixed only for medical reasons. A crazy number (like 90%+) of female rabbits develop reproductive cancers between 5 and 8 years old, so it dramatically increases female rabbit lifespans... Which matters for people with pets. It can easily double your time with your beloved animal.

But given that I breed my rabbits, none of my does are fixed. :p And they're farm rabbits for furs and meat, so most don't stick around for 5+ years, though some do.
Currently I'm working on a tri rex project (they're really uncommon in this area and hard to get since you can't ship rabbits like you can chickens), but I also have a few NZWs and other rex colors. Here's a few pictures from my herd over the years.

Bunnytractor.jpg

babies3.png

Cherry1_2.png
sage.png
brcastf1_16.png

Yay! I love this thread!! Rabbits are awesome. Currently I breed Holland Lops, Californians (for meat), and Mini Rex's.

Attachments

• 57626669782__A411017E-069E-4AC0-81BA-D4CCE512E281.JPG
    57626669782__A411017E-069E-4AC0-81BA-D4CCE512E281.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 8
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9472.jpg
    IMG_9472.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 7
Personally, as a rabbit breeder, I encourage people with pet does to get them fixed only for medical reasons. A crazy number (like 90%+) of female rabbits develop reproductive cancers between 5 and 8 years old, so it dramatically increases female rabbit lifespans... Which matters for people with pets. It can easily double your time with your beloved animal.

But given that I breed my rabbits, none of my does are fixed. :p And they're farm rabbits for furs and meat, so most don't stick around for 5+ years, though some do.
Currently I'm working on a tri rex project (they're really uncommon in this area and hard to get since you can't ship rabbits like you can chickens), but I also have a few NZWs and other rex colors. Here's a few pictures from my herd over the years.

View attachment 1894880
View attachment 1894877
View attachment 1894881 View attachment 1894878 View attachment 1894879
Oh my gosh so so cute!!!

I understand - many people aren't comfortable with it. They're commonly kept as pets and for the most part are very personable. I owned two pet rabbits before I got into breeding farm rabbits. I wasn't sure I would be able to manage it when I started but it was a much easier transition than I expected because of my convictions.
For me it just made sense. I really love animals but I also am not a vegetarian for several reasons. I want my animals I eat to be raised well and commercial meats are not, so I raise my own.
Since I have a small space that means many classic meats like beef and pork are out of the question. But rabbits are a really healthy meat source (high protein, very low fat) and because of their husbandry needs they're much harder to abuse in a commercial setting than, say, chickens crammed 6 to a cage or thousands in one building. Rabbits simply can't live under those conditions, and they handle many medications poorly, so they're kept in better housing and given better preventative care even under the worst conditions. Which means selling and promoting rabbit meat is more ethical too. Plus because of the quality of the product farmers can take a little bit of a bigger cut of the profits than with traditional meats. If I can get someone eating rabbit instead of beef, the environment their health, farmers in general and the animals all benefit.

At my place our rabbits have very big cages (2x3'-4x4') and get toys, treats, hidey holes, veterinary care, individual interaction, and generally good husbandry. (Like those brown bunnies are eating corn stalks from the garden. They had a great time.) It makes it much easier to eat meat knowing they had a good life and just one bad day.

Plus baby bunnies are amazing... I love getting to handle baby bunnies regularly. But you don't get baby bunnies without having a place for them to go.

I've had people ask me "what's the difference when you(I) butcher chickens for meat and rabbits that get butchered for meat? They're both just animals"
I haven't really come up with a clear answer other than "I see rabbits as pets only and chickens as dual purpose"
But anyone that breeds rabbits for meat, I do no see as terrible because they're trying to provide food for not only themselves but for others.

I definitely do see it that way. Chickens are very personable too, but many people eat them. Pigs are smart and make great pets but people eat them. It's all just social conditioning. And it's OK to not be comfortable with it because you're conditioned to it. We're all in a different place on our journey through understanding our relationship to our food.

I'd rather eat an animal I know lived well that makes me uncomfortable socially than eat an animal I know lived poorly but is socially acceptable.

Plus bunnies are so nice to have around. So quiet, soft and nice. And they fit anywhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom