rabbit with chicks?

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
I was wondering if I can put a rabbit hutch in shed (also separated by walls) with chickens?

i am wondering if that attracts different animals or something??

We had 2 bunnies with the ducks, ducklings, and chickens. We hadn't had problems until 2 nites ago. I found one of the bunnies dead. I don't know what happened. I don't know if the momma duck got her. I just don't know. No one else was harmed and I can't see where anything could have gotten in. But you never know. The rabbit didn't have any marks or injuries on her. It's a mystery. But before now we have had them together with no problems. Funny thing-the ducks were floating in their kiddy pool and one of the bunnies hopped up to get a drink. The duck wrapped it's beak around the bunny's little neck and tried pulling it in the water! That poor bunny freaked! The duck is a mess. She does the same thing to the hens. She loves to get them wet by pulling them in.

I asked the same question about six weeks ago and have had my two bunnies living happily with my 14 hens very sucessfully. We have an outdoor area that is totally inclosed with hardware wire, under ground and over. The hutch is in the outdoor area. at first we didn't let the bunnies in the coop because the burrow all over and make a crazy mess in the coop. This made live difficult because we would have to keep the rabbits n theier hutch at night and let the girls out during the day and close up the coop.........finally we just leave everything open, let the bunnies dig......they are so happy, they were fat from living a life of eating and pooping in their hutch. They are happy and healthy now, dropped a bunch of weight and rarely get bothered by the chickens. We just fill in the floor of the coop once a week. It is wired under the ground, so this is actually helpful because it is a composting floor and the rabbits stir it all up. I think after a year, I will remove all the now composted dirt and chicken manuer and toss it in the garden, refill with dirt and start again. Sometimes one of the chickies will peck to steel a favorite piece of fruit or veggie, but basically they ignore each other. Life is good!

Last edited:
To Judymae, I'm so sorry for you and your family, how sad. Bunnies can actually "fright" to death, and that's exactly what happens - it's like severe shock = death for them. It's very sad.

We have a complete enclosure as well, and will be getting bunnies to keep w/ our chickens, and I am in the process of putting in a raised bed for them to burrow in. I'm sure they'll try other spots as well, but the best way to train them (from my experience) is to just keep filling in where you don't want them to burrow, and I'll leave the digging in the bed alone. They actually get it after a very short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom