1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit with crusty, weepy eye?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DuckyGurl, Feb 18, 2014.

1. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Hi,
    One of our rabbits has developed a weird "crust" around one of her eyes. It has been very very cold here, so when I tried to wipe it off it was all hardened and gross. Any suggestions? It looks like that "sleep" we get in eyes, just a lot more.

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Hi, DG! :)

I don't know what it is, but if it doesn't seem too serious, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it gets worse, goes on for a long time, etc., and/or is accompanied by a runny nose and sneezing (oh my goodness - I sound like the back of a medicine bottle) you'll want to read up on snuffles and ask a vet, if possible. If the rabbit does have snuffles, the vet can prescribe an antibiotic like Baytril to keep the disease dormant.

BUT as long as it's just a runny eye and it's not too serious-looking and it goes away before too long, I think you're good. ;)

3. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    It sounds like she has weepy eye,

4. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Which is not okay, it is very contagious.

5. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    Maybe an eye infection? I suggest a trip to the veterinarian.

http://www.bunnymama.com/Care/IllnessEyeInfections.aspx

6. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Sounds like weepy eye to me. Try cleaning the eye daily with chamomile tea (brewed extra strong) and saline solution. If it doesn't clear up in a week, Terramycin ointment should do it! If the rabbit develops other symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, etc you will wanna see a vet, read up on Snuffles and be prepared to give shots of antibiotic Pen G, oral batryil and probiotics!

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Clean it with baby shampoo and warm water. Add apple cider vinegar to the drinking water and watch it. If it doesn't improve in three days, keep the ACV in the water, clean out the eye and apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye. Conjunctivitis...could be caused by a foreign body or manure contamination...either way we've had great success by cleaning the eyes and adding ACV to the drinking water. After we started just adding the ACV full time we never had a problem with this again..ever.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by