Rabbit with Eye Discharge?

furrybollocks

Chirping
6 Years
May 26, 2015
Houston, Texas
Hey there,

I noticed a few days ago that my male rabbit had a track of liquid coming from his tear duct, but it looked dry, his eye seemed normal, and he likes to get his feet wet in his water bowl occasionally so I took a few pictures and decided to wait and see if it got better. Today I noticed that, nope, it hasn't, and it looks more raw. He isn't acting strangely and his eye seems fine, so what could be causing this?

Today

Earlier this week:

Hey there, I noticed a few days ago that my male rabbit had a track of liquid coming from his tear duct, but it looked dry, his eye seemed normal, and he likes to get his feet wet in his water bowl occasionally so I took a few pictures and decided to wait and see if it got better. Today I noticed that, nope, it hasn't, and it looks more raw. He isn't acting strangely and his eye seems fine, so what could be causing this? Today Earlier this week:
Hello There! I have been showing rabbits for years now... Here's some questions I want you to answer first. First of all, is it just his right eye? How old is he? Take your hand, get on the side with his eye, and put your hand really close to his eye. His other eye shouldn't be able to see your hand when you do this. See if he closes his eye when you get close. If he doesn't, he may have gone blind in that eye. There are multiple causes for what is happening to him. He may have Epiphora, (Runny Eyes) that can be caused from the tear ducts being blocked or pushed on. He could have Pasteurella, a bacteria from hay, bedding, dust, etc. It scratches the cornea. Check to see if he has an inverted eyelid, where you can't see the eyelashes, because they are inside his eye. Look at both sides, and compare them. If that doesn't seem to be a problem, check his mouth. Pressure on tear ducts from overgrown teeth could be a problem. Open his mouth with two fingers first like this:
And see if his teeth look like they are in the picture. If they do, open his mouth wider and look inside. If you see any sores or abscesses, or back teeth curling into the upper part of his mouth and applying pressure at all. I hope this helps you! If you have ANY questions, comment on this thread and I will be happy to help!

Of all of those possibilities, I would be most willing to put my money on dust from hay. I use hay as his bedding, so it's very possible that's what's causing it; I'll research it. And yes, it's just his right eye, he responds to light, and he's about nine months old.

What would age have to do with this condition?  I have an older golden retriever who has developed this but my house is being remodeled.  Maybe it could be caused by dust.

I asked about his age so I knew how big his teeth are. Your Labrador Retreiver probably has the same thing happening. Dust is a common cause of eye watering, but hair gone underneath the eye tells me something else may be going on with the rabbit.

Of all of those possibilities, I would be most willing to put my money on dust from hay. I use hay as his bedding, so it's very possible that's what's causing it; I'll research it. And yes, it's just his right eye, he responds to light, and he's about nine months old.

Yes. Hay is a good cause for this. Have you been using hay since you got him? And did this start right afterward? If not, it probably is epiphora or pasteurella. I'm assuming you checked his teeth and eyelashes, and if nothing is wrong, my guess is also the hay. Some debris from it probably got in his eye.

His eyelashes and teeth look fine and there's no other issues besides the sticky discharge from his eye. I've had him since he was about six weeks old, and yes, hay has always been his bedding from the same place and stored in the same conditions. However, some of the hay I used and just used the last of was older and sat in a bag for a month or so before I actually used it, so that may be the source of the issue. He's also spent much more time in his hutch than he used to because he's escaped the yard twice and I'm afraid a third time will be his last, so he's no longer allowed free reign of the yard and has to stay in his hutch until a more spacious one can be built. Will this go away on its own, or do I need to purchase medicine?

If you can't see anything wrong with the eye, the hay probably went moldy. Moldy hay is hard to tell apart from regular hay unless you know what you are looking for. Sometimes it smells a bit musty, and you can tell it doesn't smell right. The mold and dustiness of the hay would definently trigger that. It probably got in his eye and infected it. Clean his cage, hutch, or wherever else there is hay, and spray down the whole thing with a hose. The mold bacteria will remain on the surface until you clean it fully. I doubt you need medicine. If you notice his eye stops watering in a couple days after doing this, he's fine. If it doesn't, take a dropper of some sort, or even your finger, preferably washed, and drop water droplets into his eye. Turn him on his side first. He will try to shut his eye, and you will have to hold it open. It's easier when someone else holds his eye open for you. Hope he gets better!

If you can't see anything wrong with the eye, the hay probably went moldy. Moldy hay is hard to tell apart from regular hay unless you know what you are looking for. Sometimes it smells a bit musty, and you can tell it doesn't smell right. The mold and dustiness of the hay would definently trigger that. It probably got in his eye and infected it. Clean his cage, hutch, or wherever else there is hay, and spray down the whole thing with a hose. The mold bacteria will remain on the surface until you clean it fully. I doubt you need medicine. If you notice his eye stops watering in a couple days after doing this, he's fine. If it doesn't, take a dropper of some sort, or even your finger, preferably washed, and drop water droplets into his eye. Turn him on his side first. He will try to shut his eye, and you will have to hold it open. It's easier when someone else holds his eye open for you. Hope he gets better!

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but you might be able to help me with an issue I have with one of my rabbits. She's 4 months old, and had one teary eye at first (two weeks ago), but now they both are. It comes out clear but dries sort of sticky, with white powdery residue. The fur beneath her eye is thinning, and her skin is a bit reddened where it has been constantly soaked. I checked for in-turned eyelashes, and they look fine. I haven't done a full check of her teeth (she doesn't like to sit still for much of that), but I'll do my best and try again. I, too, am currently using hay for her bedding...I haven't had a chance to get straw to replace it since this started!

My questions are, could moldy hay affect both eyes, with one preceeding the other? And I have another rabbit housed right beside her, with the same bedding, and he's not sick. Are some rabbits more susceptible to this than others?

I hope you see this! I'd really appreciate you advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom