Rabbit got into a fight, now it’s eye looks terrible. Advice needed!

Pics

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Hi all! I hope all is well with you and your flocks 😊

(SHORT VERSION) My buck got into a fight, today, his eye is swelled and glued shut. What should I do?

(LONG VERSION) Yesterday morning, one of my bucks got in with my other buck, and they got into an open fight within a matter of seconds. They couldn’t have been together more then 10 seconds before I managed to get them apart.

I checked them both over afterwards to make sure they were alright, and I could see no blood, or injuries, just winded bunnies.

But this morning, my bucks eye is very swollen, glued shut, and watering very badly. I cleaned it up to get a better look of the eye, and I could see lots of the white (looked like a severe whale-eye in a horse) and maybe mildy blood shuts within a matter of hours, it is now glued shut again with lots of white, thick liquid.

Other then his eye, he acts perfectly normal. Great appetite, lots of energy, friendly as always. He doesn’t act like his eye bothers him much at all, either.

I have had to deal with multiple eye infections in some of my other rabbits, but none of them looked like this.

My question is, Did he get bit on the eye, or a tear duct possibly? Is this a serious condition? What course of action should I take?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• E39792F4-925E-47FB-9A74-4FA92468BEB8.jpeg
    E39792F4-925E-47FB-9A74-4FA92468BEB8.jpeg
    612.8 KB · Views: 76
The white in the photo looks like pus to me, but I don't know for sure.

Is taking him to the vet an option?

Hopefully someone who knows better will chime in, because I really don't know what I'm talking about here. If no-one else has better ideas, and if the vet is not an option, I would probably try to clean it regularly but otherwise leave it alone and hope for the best.

If your rabbits are kept for meat, you might consider just butchering him. That is one "cure" for many problems. If your rabbits are pets, or if you want this particular one for breeding, then of course you would not want to do that.

The white in the photo looks like pus to me, but I don't know for sure.

Is taking him to the vet an option?

Hopefully someone who knows better will chime in, because I really don't know what I'm talking about here. If no-one else has better ideas, and if the vet is not an option, I would probably try to clean it regularly but otherwise leave it alone and hope for the best.

If your rabbits are kept for meat, you might consider just butchering him. That is one "cure" for many problems. If your rabbits are pets, or if you want this particular one for breeding, then of course you would not want to do that.
Thank you for your comment!

Unfortunately, a vet isn’t an option unless absolutely necessary, as we are very rural and the nearest vet (that will take rabbits) is four hours Away. If it becomes very serious, then of course I will take him in.

They are indeed pets 😊

Ok, I will keep it clean, and keep an eye on him. Thanks for the help!

I cannot believe you're bucks were that vicious. Like- wow. Okay. Which bucks are these? I'm betting the opponent's nail clipped his eye. Have you looked at the eye itself yet? Does it hurt him? Test if he can see. I'd appreciate more pics.
Looks like puss. Keep it so extremely clean. If it gets infected, it's going to be a really hard save.

I understand not taking him to a vet and trying to do an at home remedy. But this looks quite serious. I'm all for helping you out with trying to save him at home, but a vet is going to be a really good option in this scenario.

Don't let him stop eating and drinking. Keep his cage *spotless.* Like, bruh, SPOTLESS. Don't let his eye get infected!!

That's an insane amount of damage from that quick of a buck fight, I'm not gunna lie. Wow. I've definitely had my fair share of accidental fights and bad pairings, but never have I seen anything so severe. Gosh, I'm sorry!

Other then his eye, he acts perfectly normal. Great appetite, lots of energy, friendly as always. He doesn’t act like his eye bothers him much at all, either.
Rabbits are prey, therefore they hide illness and pain. You're best signs are definitely going to be watching his food and water intake.

Can he come inside? Whenever I have someone sick or horribly injured, I take them inside so I can watch them closely.
How old is he?

I cannot believe you're bucks were that vicious. Like- wow. Okay. Which bucks are these? I'm betting the opponent's nail clipped his eye. Have you looked at the eye itself yet? Does it hurt him? Test if he can see. I'd appreciate more pics.
Looks like puss. Keep it so extremely clean. If it gets infected, it's going to be a really hard save.

I understand not taking him to a vet and trying to do an at home remedy. But this looks quite serious. I'm all for helping you out with trying to save him at home, but a vet is going to be a really good option in this scenario.

Don't let him stop eating and drinking. Keep his cage *spotless.* Like, bruh, SPOTLESS. Don't let his eye get infected!!

That's an insane amount of damage from that quick of a buck fight, I'm not gunna lie. Wow. I've definitely had my fair share of accidental fights and bad pairings, but never have I seen anything so severe. Gosh, I'm sorry!
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it more then you know.

I know, I was shocked. I have had them seperated for a while because they started getting more and more aggressive, but this was unlike anything they have done before. I was shocked!

This was our original buck-the dad. He got into a fight with one of his sons.

He is a little over a year.

I looked at his eye this morning, and I could see a lot of the whites of the eye, other then that I couldn’t see anything super abnormal. I will look again asap, and test if he can see.

I will definitely keep it extremely clean, and get him seperated into a cleaner hutch right now. Unfortunately my parents don’t want him inside, but I spend a lot of time outdoors, and will check on him constantly.

I definitely understand a vet is the best option, just Such a hard thing to make happen, ugh! Especially considering I can’t drive myself yet. If that is absolutely necessary though, I am sure I could figure something out.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it more then you know.

I know, I was shocked. I have had them seperated for a while because they started getting more and more aggressive, but this was unlike anything they have done before. I was shocked!

This was our original buck-the dad. He got into a fight with one of his sons.

He is a little over a year.

I looked at his eye this morning, and I could see a lot of the whites of the eye, other then that I couldn’t see anything super abnormal. I will look again asap, and test if he can see.

I will definitely keep it extremely clean, and get him seperated into a cleaner hutch right now. Unfortunately my parents don’t want him inside, but I spend a lot of time outdoors, and will check on him constantly.

I definitely understand a vet is the best option, just Such a hard thing to make happen, ugh! Especially considering I can’t drive myself yet. If that is absolutely necessary though, I am sure I could figure something out.

Thank you so much!
I totally can relate to trying an at home remedy. No judgement here, and choose to ignore those who disagree and force their opinion on you. You're not a bad person for not taking him in.

That sounds great! Keep me updated, and if you have more pics I'd love to take a closer look!

Back
Top Bottom