Rabbits and chickens together?

silkielover5

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Hudson WI
Hi I was wondering if anyone kept rabbits with chickens? We let our rabbits run around the chicken coop every once in a while and they seem to love it and the chickens don't care either. I'm now building a grow pen and was wondering if my rabbit could permanently be with the chickens?

There is a garden store a few towns near me that lets a rabbit play with their chickens and they are fine. I have heard they get along if introduced properly. However, I heard it helps to keep more than one rabbit with chickens so they don't get picked on for being "different".

The only problem I've had so far is our new peacock doesn't like her so I haven't let her be with the chickens lately. Wouldn't she eat the chicken food? She doesn't like other rabbits already tried with 3 other ones

DO NOT feed rabbits chicken feed. They are two different animals with two different digestive systems. rabbits are herbivores, chickens are omnivores.Rabbits have complex dietary needs that only their pellets, and hay can provide. Greens are optional, but fruit should be given sometimes to help them digest.

I know that I've had and bred rabbits for years, I mean that if I kept them together they would be eating each others food, I'm sure rabbit food wouldn't affect the chickens to much but Ive seen my rabbit eating the chicken food sometimes when she's out playing which like you said wouldn't be good for her. So if I can't seperate their food somehow it Probley wouldn't be a good idea to keep them together?

Back
Top Bottom