Rabbits and Chickens

The two stalls are completely separated, wood half way up and steel rod the other half (I will add some kind of chicken wire to the steel rod to insure that the chickens to do not figure a way over to the rabbit side). They will not interact directly at all. I was most concerned with noise and the potential for one animal making the other sick. Some of the posts I have read talk about ammonia from all the chicken poop. I plan on using DLM.

I have decided I need to add some more ventilation. From another post I decided to wait until spring to add the chicks so I have some time to do that.

The information you have shared has helped a lot - thank you.

Bunnies can get a condition known as the "snuffles" which I THINK is a respiratory infection that quickly spreads. I don't know if this can pass onto chickens but it may be something to look in to. I have not had any issue but the reason I say it is that I am assuming the barn stall set up would have less ventilation than being completely outdoors.

Like I said, my bunnies dug their tunnels under the chicken coop in the run. I do my best to clear the poop, from both, but I have never seen any issues.

We have a male rabbit (Harlequin) with our chickens and one rooster. They get along really well. He had one special chicken friend last spring that he was very protective of. The rabbit would not let any of the other chickens eat before Henny. He followed her everywhere. He was frantic when she became ill and passed away.
That said, we had one chicken that ended up mauled around the same time. We suspect the rabbit was possibly responsible (we think he may have been protecting the ill chicken) and we separated the rabbit at night for a month. We wre going to rehome the bunny but decided against it.
After we took in 4 new chicks he became extremely protective of the chicks. He ignored the other chickens and followed the babies, slept with them, herded them. We have had no other attacks and the rabbit eats chicken food and veggies alongside everyone. He follows them into the coop at roosting time. He also sleeps on one of the platforms with the rooster and one of the hens.

Back
Top Bottom