Rabbits and ducks

new2ducks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Colorado
I have ducks but I'm concerned about all the rabbits! I used to think it was precious that the rabbits go in with the ducks and they got along but now I'm concerned about rabbit fever. Could that affect my ducks and also their eggs if we eat the eggs?

I have ducks but I'm concerned about all the rabbits! I used to think it was precious that the rabbits go in with the ducks and they got along but now I'm concerned about rabbit fever. Could that affect my ducks and also their eggs if we eat the eggs?
Can Rabbit Fever cross over from mammal to non mammal?

@new2ducks

Definition

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Tularemia is a rare infectious disease that typically attacks the skin, eyes, lymph nodes and lungs. Tularemia — also called rabbit fever or deer fly fever — is caused by the bacterium Francisella tularensis.
The disease mainly affects mammals, especially rodents, rabbits and hares, although it can also infect birds, sheep, and domestic animals, such as dogs, cats and hamsters.
Tularemia spreads to humans through several routes, including insect bites and direct exposure to an infected animal. Highly contagious and potentially fatal, tularemia usually can be treated effectively with specific antibiotics if diagnosed early.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom