Rabbits - need all the help i can get...

petchickenlover

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Someone dropped off 3 rabbits at our neighbors house... Sadly, a raccoon got one so their are only 2. They aren't completely tame, but they do come within 10 feet of you. Neighbor would keep them and tame them but she is moving and cannot take them with her.. So I think I'll be taking them in, taming them, and finding a good home for them...So, what do i need?? Should i get some sort of gloves to wear when I handle them in case of scratching/biting?Also what's the best way to tame them?Treats?lots of handling?? I'm also looking for anything you'd be willing to give away to help these 2 poor rabbits...Thank you all for reading....
smile.png

I am also in need of a hutch for cheap/free ASAP

Last edited:
first you need to see if they are both male or both female and once you see this

Linky

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml

then you need to decide where to keep them in house or outside. My bunnies are outside all the time during winter and summer. if they are two male they will fight you don't know if they are rise together even so if they were they do fight. If two females they can get a long as long as one has not had a litter in a cage. Now the cages have to be big enough for them to turn around and they need rabbit food it is in pellets you can't feed them lettus and carrots and veggies only you can feed this to them for a treat. That also need something to chew on I use untreated peice of would you can use a piece of fruit tree (apple, cherry, peach or whateverever)or nut tree (Pecan, walnut, acorn, or whatever) not a small piece but a good size, their teeth grow all their lives and if they don't have this then the theeth get long and the rabbit has a hard time eating

Linky

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/malocclusion.htm

They need hay also all the time this is for bedding and to eat. they need the fiber if your bunnies seem to have hair in their poop then feed them some pumpkin I hear i helps with fur in the poop and yes you can see it.

Now if you have a male and female and you don't want to breed you need to kepp them apart if they do come together they don't lock up like dogs do and it is quick and in about 30-31 days you have baby bunnies the number can be 1 or 2 to 10 or more I had a rex that had 8-10 everytime all lived so this can happen.

TO handle a wild rabbit

you need to handle them a little differently then I tame you need to get a hold of the scruff of then neck and the ears I find once you have this they are pretty much ok but some will fight the you ned to get a hold of the back just above the hip put a little pressure and the rabbit will not move. if they are running around yet best to get a trap so you can trap them in it or you can try by getting a net and catch them but they are smart I have had bunnies races (trying to catch one) and it is not easy. to tame the bunnies down just feed them and see if they will come smell you if they do don't try to touch them they are seeing what you are sometimes they will nip this is still seeing what you are. after about a week if you can get the to small you try to touch them just touch no pet you remember they are afraid of you now if you are afraid and someone touched you what would you think they were to hurt you right these are prey animals and they have a right to be afraid. it takes a long time to tame one down. OH yeah if you pick one up and it gets to screaming this is to be expected it is so afraid of you it screams first time I did this wth one of our bunnies I droped it I thought I hurt it in some way nope this is the reaction it has don't fret you are not hurting it.

If you have more questions I would be happy to help.

Rhayden

Wow, thank you for all the info! First thing we need to do is get them a hutch...Then we'll probably get a live trap to catch them. They'll probably be outside, the problem is deciding where, lol. One of my main concerns is babies, that's why i want to get them ASAP so we don't end up with even more rabbits!

I think we'll convert our old brooder into a hutch....It's 4x3..and i think it's about 2ft tall...will that be big enough for 2?

Quote:
Honestly I would be very cautious about catching these two, who are currently running loose if I understand correctly, and popping them together into a small area. If they are very young it may work, for a short time. Otherwise your going to end up with either fighting or babies, or both! I would catch them and house them separately. I have seen rabbits fight and they can do horrendous damage in just seconds.

Once you have them caught up and in cages/hutches taming them will be much easier.

Quote:
I forgot to add...they'll have an outside area as well so it won't be too small. They are super attached to each other...But I could put a screen between them so they could see each other once i get it all set up..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom