Rabbits with chickens?

Harrelltn93

Songster
Mar 24, 2018
Piedmont region, North Carolina
I have seen so many yes and no’s with this subject that I thought I would ask you guys :D My daughter has been wanting a rabbit but I need to build an outdoor enclosure. My chickens free range but I have a small bantam flock that I keep in an enclosed coop and run so my big roo can’t get to my little roo. Well, what have y’alls experiences been with this? Should I build a whole separate enclosure or should I put the bunny (probably 2 actually) with the banties?

There have been stories on here of rabbits killing chickens they are kept with. It all depends on the rabbits personality. My Mum had her huge Flemish Giant female in with two bantams and they adored their big rabbit friend. We suspect this rabbit had seen off two male companions (at different times) but she was so tolerant of those two little chickens, letting them snuggle with her, and they really missed her when she passed away from old age. But for other people it just doesn't work, so it's a risk.

I have no experience with this but I recommend "Folks, This Ain't Normal" by Joel Salatin. The book covers lots of topics but he owns a farm and had chickens and rabbits and I remember he discussed how he worked them together. Good read for anyone.

The question is has anyone tested what happens if the chickens eat rabbit feed for a week and vis versa cause the rabbit feed is literally greens so maybe it'll be okay
I have had the Rabbits and chickens together before. The biggest issue is the chickens roosting on top of the rabbit cages and making a mess on top of them. I've also had then out together and the chickens are good at cleaning up any Rabbit food that is scratched out of the feeders. Also had a Rabbit that preferred the layer pellets. Packed some weight on that one right away. Lol

I've raised several breeds of rabbits, as large as CA Whites for meat to the tiny Dwarfs. I'm hoping to introduce a couple of Holland Lops for my grand-kids to enjoy. Keeping the chicken feed away from the rabbit would be manageable with a hanging feeder; rabbit will have its own feed in its cage with a door only big enough for her, and by attaching something that makes triangle or a tent shape object, on top of the cage will keep the cage clean inside, and provide the rabbit a nesting place of her own. I see this very doable. I'm new to the baby chick raising thing, (I've only had full grown chickens as a kid) but do love rabbits. But I want to establish the coop before getting rabbits. By the way, rabbits LOVE oats too!

Back
Top Bottom