Rabbits

KristaJ

Chirping
Apr 10, 2018
I am new to breeding rabbits I had doe to have babies on May 19th but none of them lived. How long do i need to wait to breed her again?

Thank you. She had one liter last year and they all did good. I just don't know what happened this time.

I've been breeding rabbits for over 30 years, and still, sometimes I don't know what happened.:idunnoJust one of the reasons that I say, "anyone who believes in the saying 'breeds like rabbits' has never tried it."

Better luck next time!

I've been keeping American Blues for meat for almost 4 years. I've had missed litters several times. I just re-breed them and mark it on the calendar. I've got one doe that I've not yet gotten a successful litter from. Frustrating. One of them was my fault. I mismarked my calendar and had her down for kindling a week later. So, no nestbox preparations had been made yet. And now she had a litter just a few days ago. She was 3 days early, so I hadn't yet given her a nestbox. Those were all dead too. I'll try one more time before culling. Last year, I had a doe that I really wanted to keep. She had one litter of 14. However, she never made a nest or cared for her kits at all. After 3 failed attempts I had to cull her. It happens.

I've been breeding rabbits for over 30 years, and still, sometimes I don't know what happened.:idunnoJust one of the reasons that I say, "anyone who believes in the saying 'breeds like rabbits' has never tried it."

Better luck next time!
That's kinda like saying, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" Huh?

Try not to handle your females too much after being bred, it can stress the doe. That's one thing I found. Also sometimes if their cage is too close to the buck it'll stress her out. I always kept a divider between them and the buck when they were expecting and put the nest box in about a week before they were due.

Each day after the nest box is in place put in a handfull of Timothy and sweet Bermuda or something similar and when she's ready she'll start building a nest, that's when I would put more hay in until she had it completed. They are pretty quick and quite skilled at building a nest, mine always make a tunnel style nest.
I also feed a little bit of calf manna towards the end of pregnancy and while nursing, just sprinkle a little bit on top of the regular feed, a little goes a long way.
You could breed her again now, but when she has a successful litter I would wait until the kits are about 4-6 weeks before breeding again she can have a break in between litters. I only lost one entire litter, and had to foster to another mother twice. I keep the females on the same breeding scedule. Good luck and best wishes for the next litter.

Back
Top Bottom