@Cyndi, Yes, regular house floor tiles (porcelain tile) about 12" x 12." I'll freeze a couple and rotate them when needed. The frozen bottles are just for them to lay against. (I use a water bowl for their drinking water.) I had to do that when our A/C died and we were out for days. Temps outside were 107- 109 that week. (Last summer we had 25 days that were 108 or higher -- several of those days were 115-117F.):rolleyes: I really can't complain though because I do prefer warm to cold. The weather was actually one of the reasons we chose to move here. 85F or warmer is my preference :) .

Here's an older pic with Shadowfax laying against a frozen bottle.

Wow! :eek: I roast when it gets that hot LOL but it really only ever gets to 80s and 90s here in the summer because being by the coast we are more moderate. Usually like a week of heat wave above 90 temps and a week of really cold single digit temps but otherwise usually 80s in the summer and 20s in the winter. But it is also humid here so the combination of the humidity I think makes the heat worse, makes it really muggy. But not as hot as down south thankfully. We are in eastern MA.

@KDOGG331 your temps sound pretty good but, I could not handle the humidity. I prefer it cold. This is why we love it here in northern Idaho.
I grew up in Los Angeles County, near the ocean, mountains, desert forest, we had it all. A nice place to grow up back in teh 60's & 70s.

@KDOGG331 your temps sound pretty good but, I could not handle the humidity. I prefer it cold. This is why we love it here in northern Idaho.
I grew up in Los Angeles County, near the ocean, mountains, desert forest, we had it all. A nice place to grow up back in teh 60's & 70s.

Yeah, the humidity gets me every summer! I mean, it’s definitely not as humid as some places but I often walk outside and start sweating immediately just from being outside. I like it colder too or at least used to because I get kind of sick in the heat too, dehydrated very easily leading to migraines, but now that it’s actually cold, I am miserable LOL and the dry heat in winter dries my eyes and hands out. I am thinking of possibly moving someplace warmer but I hate humidity so basically all of the south is out and I hate anything over 100 or lets be real, even over 90 lol, and bugs, snakes, creepy crawlies, so desert is also out, so guess that leaves nowhere lol I have thought about moving to Idaho. It is a gorgeous state. And wow that does sound like a nice place to grow up!!

Yes, the bugs and humidity are yucky. I have a snake, so snakes don't bother me. Idaho is dry also even though there is water (lakes, streams, ponds, etc.) everywhere, you would think it would be most. when we first moved here my skin would get ashy and dry. I use a lot of lotion.
Did you grow up in MA?

I grew up in CA. next door to LA, in a town called Glendale, CA. do you know this City?

We lived in Costa Mesa in the early 80's (college and early married years) but are originally from the east coast so are familiar with humidity! Humidity makes the cold colder and the hot hotter! (@KDOGG331 )

We are in AZ now and it IS dry! The dryness does make the high temps more tolerable for sure. (another reason we chose AZ over, say, FL)

We visited southern Idaho for the solar eclipse a couple years ago. Unfortunately we didn't get to see much more than a bit of Idaho Falls. It's a state that I'd like to see more of.
Massachusetts makes me think of snow, cold, snow, and more cold...lol! We start hitting 90s around the end of April and it doesn't drop below 90s again until October.

I have a snake, so snakes don't bother me.

I have a cornsnake. ;)

We've had a few rattlesnakes in our backyard the last couple years. Have to keep them away from the dogs. (Diamondbacks and green mohaves.)

Also have the Sonoran Desert Toads that come out in monsoon season. Their skin is poisonous. A neighbor's dog died from licking one.

Yes, the bugs and humidity are yucky. I have a snake, so snakes don't bother me. Idaho is dry also even though there is water (lakes, streams, ponds, etc.) everywhere, you would think it would be most. when we first moved here my skin would get ashy and dry. I use a lot of lotion.
Did you grow up in MA?

The weird thing is I actually can handle pet snakes and think they are cool, even eventually want a corn snake LOL, but I just get freaked out when I see them in the wild, especially poisonous ones!! And hm, that doesn’t sound too good! I don’t like being itchy and dry lol and yeah I did! Was born in Florida though. Lived there until I was 2 and moved up here and we’ve been up here ever since so 22 years almost 23. Turning 25 in March lol

We lived in Costa Mesa in the early 80's (college and early married years) but are originally from the east coast so are familiar with humidity! Humidity makes the cold colder and the hot hotter! (@KDOGG331 )

We are in AZ now and it IS dry! The dryness does make the high temps more tolerable for sure. (another reason we chose AZ over, say, FL)

We visited southern Idaho for the solar eclipse a couple years ago. Unfortunately we didn't get to see much more than a bit of Idaho Falls. It's a state that I'd like to see more of.
Massachusetts makes me think of snow, cold, snow, and more cold...lol! We start hitting 90s around the end of April and it doesn't drop below 90s again until October.

Yup it sure does!! And that humidity is miserable. Step outside and start sweating lol and feel muggy and gross even if you already showered that day. Usually have to shower more than once a day ha or at least wash your face a few times. Otherwise you're just left muggy and sticky.

And yuppp sounds about right!! Lol was single digits just earlier this week. Not much snow so far though thankfully. And wow! I don’t think I could handle that heat lol

I have a cornsnake. ;)

We've had a few rattlesnakes in our backyard the last couple years. Have to keep them away from the dogs. (Diamondbacks and green mohaves.)

Also have the Sonoran Desert Toads that come out in monsoon season. Their skin is poisonous. A neighbor's dog died from licking one.

I want a cornsnake eventually! They are cool!!

And wow that is scary!!

I had an orange colored corn snake years ago. yes, a cool snake.
I am so happy that we only have garter snakes, no poisionous snakes here. Our GSH dog will catch snakes each spring and if they are still alive we feed them to our snake. one time we put a snake in there for our snake and he/she wasnt hungry, i guess. so they were roomates for about 1 month and then one day it was gone.... eaten.

Back
Top Bottom